rawhide1

Chap Leather

Howdy all

I was wondering were y'll got your chap leather from and what weight you used. I need some crimsion (OU) colors for a pair of chaps. I found something close at Springfield but was wondering were else a fella might look. And what weight do y"ll use the stuff at Springfield was 3-3.5oz that seemed kinda light to me. But I'm not a chap maker yet. These are for a buddy. I looked at the suppliers on here but was wondering if there were anymore out there.

Thanks, Mike

I think the weight is more dependent on the use,

than any thing if just a show some time use,

or a real every day working cowboy ,

make what ever works

Hello Mike:

I've made a lot of chaps and taught the chap making class at Sheridan for several years, I'm sure there are a lot of good chap makers out there but I'll give you the places I get most of my leather from. The Hide House in California is where I get the majority of mine from, there number is 800-453-2847 and web site is www.hidehouse.com. They have a cowside leather that is 3-3.5 oz and comes in over 40 colors. The weight is nice for most chaps and I use it a lot for rodeo chaps and the weight works well. They also have heavier leather if you need it but colors are not as many. Goliger Leather is another source and the have a nice moccasin grain chap leather that works well for chinks and work works, it's a little heavier. Sheridan leather always has some really nice stuff and are VERY helpful with suggestions. I use some others occiasionaly but those are the 3 main ones I use. If you have any more questions just drop me a line, be glad to help.

Cody Young

Cody's Custom Saddlery

Codyscustomsaddlery.com

Facebook: Cody's Custom Saddlery

Thanks fellas for the replys. My buddy is a huge OU fan. He's just gonna wear them to games. So they'll not see any heavy use at all.

Mr. Young I sure appriciate the kind offer of being able to call ya for help. If I get in a bind I'll fer sure do that.

Thanks, Mike

springfield is where I get my leather and they have the best selection IMO

3 to 4 oz is pretty much the norm for chaps and chinks.