This is one of my latest projects, I've seen a lot of the Steampunk style leather items floating around and decided to try my hand at it. First attempt not so much, but this second attempt turned out pretty good though I'm open for any critique.

post-43959-0-91148800-1375808894_thumb.j

I like it! What's the small metal rivet looking bit at the tip of the knife sheath?

Greetings Sporq,

The metal piece at the tip is an engraved Chicago Screw (Screw Post), I like to use them where a regular rivet won't work or to give extra strength to a section. :cowboy:

Nice! I really like this. I've been planning on making a steampunk costume for some time now. What dye did you use for the sheath? I really like the red hues.

Nice! I really like this. I've been planning on making a steampunk costume for some time now. What dye did you use for the sheath? I really like the red hues.

I used Fiebings Mahogany Dye and went over it with a Fiebings Medium Brown Stain after it dried. One of the ways I've found to get the slightly molten coloring like on this sheath is to put a light layer of Neatsfoot oil on the sheath, let it soak until their's no more sheen and then put a healthy layer of dye. Allow to dry and then use the stain to even the tones out. There might be a better way, I've only been at this a little over a year, however, that's the technique I use.

Hope that helps. :cowboy:

I used Fiebings Mahogany Dye and went over it with a Fiebings Medium Brown Stain after it dried. One of the ways I've found to get the slightly molten coloring like on this sheath is to put a light layer of Neatsfoot oil on the sheath, let it soak until their's no more sheen and then put a healthy layer of dye. Allow to dry and then use the stain to even the tones out. There might be a better way, I've only been at this a little over a year, however, that's the technique I use.

Hope that helps. :cowboy:

The technique I use to get a truly amazingly even color from dyes is to spray them with an air brush. Once you get the basics of working the air gun you can get amazing solid colors, not to mention it is much easier to spray lighter then a brush can ever apply thereby increasing your color spectrum. It also makes blended two tones super easy. Can be a bit pricey on setup about $300-500 depending on make, model and compressor

Thanks for the tip Nightwolf, I'll have to look into that.