JakeDiebolt

Leather For Leashes?

Hi all.

Right now I'm thinking about making some dog leashes with some of the leather I have around. It's just vegetable tanned, and I was wondering if that type of leather would be appropriate for that sort of thing. Usually when I see people making leads and collars it's with bridle or latigo leather. I've got a leather finish that works pretty well to waterproof the leather, so I don't think the leather getting wet is a huge issue, but are latigo and bridle leathers that much stronger?

Latigo and bridle have a clean finished look. Inner part of some of our leashes are done with veg tan. Plain veg tan will work, just doesn't look as nice.

I've made several veg tan leashes. They can be tooled and look gorgeous, the only issue is what to do with the flesh side.

I once made a 2 layer tooled leash and hand stitched them back to back, but it was more work than it was worth.

One layer leashes still look good, but you have to do your edging and burnishing. I like to dye the flesh side black.

I also use veg tan for leashes but make sure that it is thick enough not to stretch. Any oil tanned leather is going to be more waterproof than veg tanned, but since I want to color my leashes I just make sure they are well waterproofed. I have not had any trouble with mine so far :)

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'll try and slick down the flesh side of the leash to give it more of a finished look.

Yes, stitching along the length will help prevent stretching. But prepare to be stitching for a LONG time if you choose to go that route! It took me hours!

I honestly don't care if my leashes stretch a bit. What's a few more inches to a 5 foot leash?

I use veg-tanned leather, 8-10 oz. I slick the edges and the flesh side. If it's particularly messy I sand it. I tested a couple of them by pulling my pickup with a tractor. No stretch. The majority of my leashes are for working dogs (K-9, etc) so I use two solid rivets at each end. For conditioning, I oil first, dye, oil again, MPB leather dressing. I send a flyer with care instructions with each leash and collar.

I'm not sure what everyone else prefers, but I love using leather balm with atom wax on the flesh side after dying. It leaves a really nice smooth texture, but tends to look a bit crackly when bent. You might try that.

Does anyone on this thread know if Austin Double Shoulder leather (from tandy) is okay to use for a dog collar?

I tested a couple of them by pulling my pickup with a tractor. No stretch.

Now that is a test!

Amazing! That's what I wanted to hear :)