Palermo

Need Help Choosing Machine...

Hello all,

I've been following this forum for sometime and saw wizcrafts post on machines. He is very very knowledgeable when it comes to sewing but only covers the Chinese made machines from what I've read.

So my question is. What is the best machine for me? I make leather accessories, wallets, luxury high end leather handbags, holsters when commissioned. I mainly use 2-3 or 3-4oz cowhide or soft italian calfskin.

Currently I hand stitch or use a vintage hand powered adler or singer.

I am looking for a cylinder machine. That can stitch with thick thread. The thicker the better.

I've been mainly looking at the Juki 246 and 1341. I like the Juki 441 for the length of the cylinder but I think it's too much machine than what I need.

Thanks for helping me out!

Palermo

Hi Palermo. Please call the advertisers on this site. We are all helpful and knowledgeable. Including Wiz. Thanks, Steve

Edited by Cobra Steve

Palermo, I was fortunate to be able to purchase a new Class 4 a few weeks ago, I love it! I suggest you take some time to review the offerings of the companies that advertise in the banners found on the top of the pages here. All of these folks are knowledgeable and eager to assist you in finding just the right machine for your needs. You will find some fantastic people to work with. Give it a try!

Bro. Tim

the pistol packing preacher!

If you are primarily going to be sewing the thicknesses and temple that you mentioned about, don't get a Juki 441/Cobra Class 4 type machine. They are too much machine for that weight of leather. The feed dog and presser feet are too big for such soft leather and getting the tension adjusted for thread light enough for that leather will be difficult. The other Jukis in your list are more appropriate. I'm not too familiar with the particular machines themselves but they are lighter class than the Juki 441 clones.

You mentioned sewing holsters. For holsters, the 441 clones will work well. The thing is, you're not going to find one machine that will both sew holsters well and sew 3oz soft chrometan leather well. They might be able to do it with a lot of adjusting, but they won't do it well.

Andrew

@andrew

Thank you for your helpful reply. Right now I'm pretty sold on the Cowboy 4500 yes Chinese made. I have cylinder machines now (hand powered/ treadle) and the problem I run into sometimes is length of the cylinder. (Luggage and boot repairs) I've been told that the cowboy 4500 will sew chap leather which is 3-4 oz if I'm not mistaken. I know how to adjust my machines and time them as I've thrown them off before. So I don't mind dialing them in if I have to.. But they have to sew good

@hilbilly Tim

Thanks for the advise I'll contact them all soon.

Palermo;

If you do buy a 441 type machine with the intention of sewing soft or thin leather, also get the accessory flat slotted throat plate and some packs of thinner needles (e.g. #18, 19, 20). You'll need to remove the feed dog and standard plate to use this plate. It has a long, narrow slot for the needle to move the work. The width of the slot is much smaller than the hole in the feed dog. That large hole causes skipped stitches and stitch length inconsistencies in soft garment leather and other soft materials.

post-11118-0-41744300-1377577505_thumb.j

Palermo;

If you do buy a 441 type machine with the intention of sewing soft or thin leather, also get the accessory flat slotted throat plate and some packs of thinner needles (e.g. #18, 19, 20). You'll need to remove the feed dog and standard plate to use this plate. It has a long, narrow slot for the needle to move the work. The width of the slot is much smaller than the hole in the feed dog. That large hole causes skipped stitches and stitch length inconsistencies in soft garment leather and other soft materials.

post-11118-0-41744300-1377577505_thumb.j

@wizcrafts

You know a lot. I hope to be as knowledgable as you with machines. In your opinion will I be better off with a small machine? I don't mind batch sewing either. Setting up the machine for thick or thin leather.

Right now on the holsters I get commissioned to do, i sew on my dads landis 12. Great for outside stitching as it even cuts a stitch path. But I want to start using a machine like the cowboy to do them.

I know there's no one machine for everything but I can only afford one machine.

I use different sewing machines for different tasks and materials. I have found that my large Cowboy stitcher does not do as well sewing with thin thread and with heavy thread. I have to dink around more than it is worth to change over from sewing with #277 to #92. Tis better to keep a medium duty walking foot machine for middle weight jobs, small thread and small needles. Also, long needles bend more easily than short ones.

So, I use a harness stitcher for holsters, a walking foot machine for thin flat items and a shoe patcher for sewing in different directions, or on top of pockets, or inside sleeves and legs.