BrieForShort

Camp/tripod Stool - Extra Step Necessary For Strength?

I'm looking to start my first camp/tripod stool, and I've pretty much settled on following a couple of tutorials that have the leather directly mounted/attached to the legs rather than creating pockets at the corners of the seat for the legs to be placed into.

Here are the two tutorials I'm referencing for my project:

The first tutorial shows a piece of extra leather sewn to the bottom of the seat for additional strength. Is this necessary, and worth the effort? I'm not afraid of the extra work, but I just want to make sure it's worth doing.

Any input on the project as a whole is appreciated.

Many thanks!

The first tutorial shows a piece of extra leather sewn to the bottom of the seat for additional strength. Is this necessary, and worth the effort? I'm not afraid of the extra work, but I just want to make sure it's worth doing.

Depends on the thickness and quality of the leather. Light weight low quality leather will definitely need doubling up. 8-9 oz minimum should be adequate for a single layer. With the type of attachment to the legs that is shown in the tutorials, I would double up the corners to improve the durability, resist stretching if it gets damp, etc.

Have you done a search here for photos and examples? There have been a number of camp stool threads here.

Tom