Sign in to follow this  
braider

Greetings from a leather braider. I am just trying out this new forum and I'm hoping it all goes well for everyone. Below is an example of my work.

You're welcome to visit my web site Anderson Leather Braiding at http://andersonleather.com/

I found the enlargement of this thumbnail is a better/correct picture of it.

braided_leather_purse.jpg

post-10-1150351732_thumb.jpg

Edited by braider

That is amazing work! How long does a project like that take you to complete?

Hi wildrose... I've been building these for a long time now and it's still hard to give that estimate. I've found that even when making the same bag - it can vary quite a bit in time. I can make most all my bags in a work day - albeit some, like this one, are a rather long work day. ...Dave

Hi wildrose... I've been building these for a long time now and it's still hard to give that estimate. I've found that even when making the same bag - it can vary quite a bit in time. I can make most all my bags in a work day - albeit some, like this one, are a rather long work day. ...Dave

I understand! It's tough when customers as me that very question...sometimes I think they want to know so they can guess if they're getting their money's worth? I guess as you do it more and more it gets easier, but in some ways it's still time consuming no matter what.

Probably a more appropriate way to put it is "It's taken me over 35 years to be able to make it in a long day." ...Dave

I went to your website, wow, excellent stuff.

I especially like what you did to the Corvette

and of course the biker stuff as well.

Dave, c'mon...please...post some more pictures... You are teasing us!

Dave is an expert braider, stitcher, maker etc. and I'm really glad he's here. I would love to sit at his elbow and learn to do some of the things he does! He's rather modest, but I'd try to coax him into showing off somehow.

AT- good to see you, too! If anyone is in the market for a quality knife, check with AT first. It's your own fault if your knife is ugly. (I'm still carrying my Billy Downs oosik knife.) I have no idea how the other mothers get by without a decent pocket knife, or why I am the only mom who carries one?

Jay, I hope you saw the addition to the board I made at your suggestion. I'm looking forward to your post there!

I am tickled to see you guys here. C'mon, Dave, show us more...

Johanna

Thank you for all the compliments about my work. Here is an example of the vests that I build. This one happens to be for re-sale. I think the owner out grew it. If anybody is interested in it I'd be happy to put you in touch with the guy. It fits a 45" chest. ...Dave

leather_vest_with_lapels.jpg

post-10-1151249490_thumb.jpg

Wow. :thumbsup: I want one in black, with fringe, and an inside pocket. Anything we can barter with, Dave? Or will you accept a payment plan for the next 50 years or so? :lol: The guy should go on a diet rather than not get to wear that vest!

Johanna

Candyleather

Little Jon made me a purse for when I was on the back of motorcycles with an extra long braided strap like you used on the hand strap handles of the first pictured bag. He used thicker leather, carefully edged it, braided it close, formed it, burnished it and I love that braid. It never pulls my long hair, and it does not catch on things. That bag is stunning, but I would have a hard time with that twist style of braid for the shoulder strap because of my hair. For any bag as big as my laptop, I want a shoulder pad, too.

Are you in business yet, and do you have a website? You have quite a variety of good looking stuff, so I hope you're selling plenty. If you have a portfolio site, I know I would want to look at everything. Got a link to share?

Johanna

Candyleather... Thank you for your compliment about my work. It's always nice to hear that you've inspired someone. I noticed braiding on at least a couple of the bags in your pictures. I wish you well with your leatherwork/braiding. ...Dave

Ye I love your site - I've been trying to do pinapple knots like yours for ages for the western tack I do. So far I've just used thicker thongs for the few smaller knots I know, but seeing your stuff sort gives me a kick up the behind.

I've been trying to do pinapple knots like yours for ages for the western tack I do

Finally managed to do pineapple knot, with alittle help from an article in the leather crafters magazine - can't believe it, only took about a year.

thanks for the insperation.

troy... Congrats about the pineapple knot! I'm delighted that you find inspiration in my work. ...Dave

Well I think you and your site have done it now - changed the design of my bridle abit and have also managed to do a headhunters knot and something called a lazy man knot today - they look pretty good done over a narrow or perfect pineapple knot. Just hope the bridle looks like a bridle when I'm finished and not just one bit knot.