rschreck

How Many Sq Ft To Make A Belt?

I'm going to finally order a nice piece of leather to attempt to make a nice belt. I see at Springfield they sell it by the square foot. Anyone know how many square feet I am going to need to make two 1 1/2" wide belts?

To calculate area, multiply the length of the blank by the width. To convert Square inches to Square feet, divide by 144. But this only gets you pay of the way there.

Leather dealers sell cuts, which are proceed by the Square foot: Shoulders, bellies, backs, sides, butts etc. You need a piece which is long enough from which to cut two blanks. Presuming these are for adult men, you might be able to squeeze them out of a double shoulder, but you would have to cut them the "wrong" way so they might end up a bit too stretchy. To cut them the "right" way you will need a butt, side or back. These are big pieces of leather, and not cheap -- but they do work out well per usable Square foot if you need it all.

So doing the math, "officially" a belt would be in the range of 1/2 square feet.

Also "officially", MANY belts are cut from the shoulder section of the hide, purchased as a "double shoulder". You can get these in 12-14 sq ft pieces that are certainly large enough to cut belts (perhaps 15-20 belts depending on size and shape of the piece).

Also "officially", Matt is correct, the sturdier belt is going to come from the back portion of the hide (less stretchy / tighter grain).

In the end, if you just want to make a belt er two, you might just order the blanks.

So doing the math, "officially" a belt would be in the range of 1/2 square feet.

Also "officially", MANY belts are cut from the shoulder section of the hide, purchased as a "double shoulder". You can get these in 12-14 sq ft pieces that are certainly large enough to cut belts (perhaps 15-20 belts depending on size and shape of the piece).

Also "officially", Matt is correct, the sturdier belt is going to come from the back portion of the hide (less stretchy / tighter grain).

In the end, if you just want to make a belt er two, you might just order the blanks.

Know anywhere I can get belt blanks made of decent leather? Springfield sells blanks but they are described as "Low Grade belt blanks cut from various and miscellaneous leather".

I looked at these: http://springfieldleather.com/18883/Belt-Blank%2CSnaps%2C1%22x48-52%22/

But it has the same thing about being a low grade belt blank. Am I misreading it?

Edited by rschreck

Springfield has tons of blelt blanks, enter belt blanks in their search box

Don't actually know, as I've never ordered them. But, these at least "claim" to be okay ..

http://springfieldleather.com/18888/Belt-Blank%2CSnaps%2C1-1-2%22x48-52%22/

Already has snaps, but then maybe a buckle and a keeper?

Edited by JLSleather

Springfield will sell it to you and cut it for you. Tell them you need 2 pieces of Herman oak cut 70"x1.5" each. They will cut it to for you gladly. You might need to buy 3 to make the minimum but its worth it. If its a single layer belt get 8-9 oz. if its a lined belt get the lining 4-5 oz. it will make a great belt.

Tell Springfield what you are making and they will get you what you need for the best price you can get. I buy 72"x24" of Herman oak 8-9 oz b grade. Gets me 6-7 belts and 6 holsters. I cut the straps myself. If you don't want the much buy less. I tell them it's for belts and holsters and they give me leather from a back or a bend depending on what I need and they have in stock. I get them long,72", so I can accommodate requests for longer belts..

They will work with you to save you money and get you good leather.

Michael

I buy leather straps from Springfield, these are Hermann Oak, already cut to whatever belt size you want and they come in two lengths, 50" and 72". They are not "Belt Blanks" in that the end has to be skived and the holes for Chicago Screws or snaps have to be punched and the slot has to be punched for the buckle end. But they are sold as 1 ea, so you can buy as many or as little as you like. They are high quality. I also buy them in 2" and 2-1/2" widths for Guitar, Banjo, Mandolin and Dobro Straps, I have them split each strap to exactly 6 oz (they charge me $1.00 per strap) which is what I like for straps and it makes them very uniform from strap to strap and from the main strap to the adjustment strap. Talk to them, they'll sell you what you need and in the dimensions you need it, great folks to work with.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794