karmamack

What Are The Parts Called?

Hi, I am wanting to make craft-style dog collars, with leather ends. I want to buy the leather bits for the ends along with the buckles and d-ring.

Is it possible to purchase these already holed etc, just ready to attached to my own collar part? And if so, what on earth would I look for. I have tried Googling all variations but can't find what I am looking for.

PS. I am in Australia.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited by karmamack

Karma you're looking i think for billets and tongues but I'm not sure. With a hole punch and utility knife you could make your own if that's something you're interested in. People here could explain how. Cheryl

Thank you. I don't really want to make them myself, although many years ago I did leatherwork and made my own horse bridles and lots of other stuff. My mother owned a second hand saddlery store, so we used to do repairs also. But, I just want to purchase these collar parts already to go.

I can't remember what everything is called now, but will search for tongues and billets, thank you :-)

Not one hundred percent sure what you are trying to make. A rough sketch might help. If you are trying to make a collar similar to a ranger style belt 9as pictured below) the part with adjustment holes is the billet (some call it a tonque. The part that holds the buckle is the chape. I know of no company (that does not mean there isn't) that sells those ready made parts for collars. Any experienced leather craftsman should be able to make them for you. I could make what ever you wanted however not sure what shipping would be. Or are you trying to attach leather ends to something like nylon or codura ?

post-15001-0-65811700-1378088390_thumb.j

post-15001-0-72362800-1378088438_thumb.g