chrstn53

Help Identifying Swivel Knives

I was lucky enough to purchase a leather tool collection from a long time collector and among the collection are around 30 swivel knives. I attached some pictures of some unique swivels with no maker marks and was wondering if anyone might know the makers of these tool. I appreciate any knowledge you can pass along.

post-35343-0-31132600-1378607424_thumb.jpost-35343-0-49025200-1378607432_thumb.j

Might try Kings X or Bruce Johnson

#2 & #4 in first pic are Hackbarths but I don't think those are Hackbarth blades. Look and see if they have large dia shafts. I have one like #2 that I have had for ~ 55 years and it was old then. The Hackbarth blade was about worn down to a nub so I went to a machine shop and had an insert made so it would hold 7/32 Tandy blades true and have used it happily for the duration. I use Barry King blades now and have them ground to the old Tandy angle in thick and then I have no problems with undercutting.

The first one reminds me of an old Don King I saw. It really looks like a Barry King, but rugged looking. The second is a hackbarth and it looks like a saddlers blade is equipped. The third one is a HD devillis with a perma blade. The last one is also a hackbarth, but I too question whether it has an original blade. It might be, but I am not sure.

In the second picture, you have a interesting find. The first one looks a lot like a hackbarth knife, but probably a imitation knife. Still not sure. Now, probably the best one is the final knife. This one is a Paul Burnett swivel knife. Interesting to know. I talked with Paul before his death about the same knife in my collection and he told me that the knives did not come out as he originally designed and called them flawed.

Enjoy your knife set. I am always looking for unique knifes for my collection.

Sam

Thanks for the help oltoot and king's x. I have been trying to find info on the last swivel since its unique and I had not seen it anywhere. Now I know

Thanks again

Christian