Sign in to follow this  
malabar

Knife Sheaths With Stingray

I'm not big into making knife sheaths. If you make them really well, they're almost as much work as making a holster, and you can't charge as much. So I have a few regulars I make them for, but don't really advertise. And I don't do exotics.

But my son was doing a gun show down in Palm Beach, and an antique dealer commissioned a boot knife sheath for his custom boot knife -- all Damascus steel, rosewood and silver. So I had to make something that would be worthy of the knife.

The sheath has six layers of leather -- outer shells, liners, welt and the exotic. I got such a good reaction that I made a similar piece for my big custom Greco Kukri.

These sheaths both have quick mounting systems, metal hardware for mounting, and liners to prevent any metal from touching the blade. The retention snap can be easily popped by your thumb when you grip the knife.

So thoughts, comments? How to improve them?toothpick-stingray-2.pngtoothpick-stingray.pngsheath-back.pngDSC_0018.pnggreco-stingray-1.pnggreco_sting_back.png

Edited by malabar

Ironic this thread came up today. I just came from Tandy in Wisc. and I bought two Stingrays hides they had on sale for 19.95 apiece. Going to set in a couple of holsters. Not sure on the models yet. I think I'll do one for myself.

These look very nice, well done!

The leather keeper on the first one that retains the belt clip may get excessive wear from sliding it on and off the belt.

The only thing that might enhance these is an inlay instead of an underlay but the underlay will protect the stingray somewhat.

TR,

That's a good thought about the wear on the leather keeper. I could certainly make the keeper larger, or do you have another suggestion? Without it, the sheath tends to "flap" away from the clip.

How do you handle the edges on an overlay?

tk

Hey Malabar,

They are superb. Great job and sure that any customer would enjoy the workmanship.

God bless.

Ray

I just put the clip between the layers.

post-19342-0-84908200-1378849834_thumb.j

In your case the back may have to be made of two pieces glued together.

On an inlay the edges wouldn't be finished, they would be glued to the mating pieces.

Kevin.

Kevin,

mine goes down between the layers too, but I've got more exposed. I think I'll try your technique.

thanks!

You're welcome, I couldn't tell from the picture.

I thought you cut a strip in the back of the sheath and ran the clip through it.

They all look fantastic though.

It's kinda "woven" through the back layer. The clip goes through a little strip and then anchors down between the layers and is held in place with a chicago screw that is also sandwich between the layers. It would be simple -- in fact, simpler than what I'm doing -- to feed the entire back of the clip between the layers.

tk

These look very nice, well done!

The leather keeper on the first one that retains the belt clip may get excessive wear from sliding it on and off the belt.

The only thing that might enhance these is an inlay instead of an underlay but the underlay will protect the stingray somewhat.

What's the difference between an inlay, and underlay, and an overlay? I thought an inlay was when the leather window sits on top of the exotic. Thanks in advance!

A true inlay is two separate pieces flush with each other.