halfwit

Home Made Stitching Groover?

Does anyone know of anything I can use for a stitching groover until I have the funds available to buy a real one. Or better yet, has anyone ever made one? My only problem is I've never seen one up close and been able to study how the blade is cut.

It also might help if someone would just post a close up of the blade to shine some light on whats going on down there lol.

any help is always appreciated, thanks :)

You dont really need a groover. Anything thin, blunt and smooth that can be used to make an indentation deep enough for the thread to sit in is fine. The purpose of the groove is only to protect the stitches from nicks and friction by putting them flush to or under the surface of the leather and give a visible guideline to follow. Cutting a shallow gouge as a groover does has been debated to weaken the leather and possibly add to stitches tearing out. Whichever side of the debate you fall on.... you can do the same task with a butter knife and save some money =)

Chuck

There is a groover thing that women use to do something with their fingernails that you can use as a groover. I stole one from my wife. Just be easy with it, it's not really heavy enough, but it will get the job done!

You can use a set of wing dividers or even a kids drawing compass. On dapmp leather you will be able to creat a depressinon for the thread to lye in without cutting into the leather, it is also an easy way to lay out your stitching line.

post-15001-0-76102600-1379193033.jpg

post-15001-0-25072900-1379193073_thumb.j