bobocat

2 finger carved bird

The work is just used the swivelknife to cut out.But I hope you will like it.

It's just only used the cutted line to show the fluent,beautiful feeling.

20074241981865929.jpg

post-5477-1221743998_thumb.jpg

That is beautiful! It reminds me of the Pennsylvania Dutch artwork I saw alot around Lancaster.

Bobcat - you do such amazing work I would love to be able to watch you work so I could see how you produce such beautiful leather! Keep posting!!!

Stunning!! Wow.

Outstanding Work!!

Great Job Bobcat

WC

Bobocat,

I really love your 2 finger carving. Could you share with us how you created the mirror image effect?

Bobocat,

I really love your 2 finger carving. Could you share with us how you created the mirror image effect?

Bobcat was at my place last night and I was asked to ask him this question.

He said that he laid out the design on the computer and simply reversed the image and then crossed it a little. Then when he transferred it to the leather he only did the large outlines and did the detail by freehand. Thus you can see that even though the base image is the same the detail is different on each side.

Folks I have to tell you that Bobocat is a cool cat. He is totally committed to the art of leather tooling. Myself, Zhen Hai, Long Wei, Bobocat's friend Kevin, and my wife had a lovely evening discussing leather working, philosophy of design, the zen of teaching others and other topics.

Just an example of how committed he is; he told us that when he sees something that someone else did he will print a picture and tape it to his wall and think about it for a month. Then he will tool it and a year later he will do another one to compare his skill to the previous year's work. He doesn't do customer orders, he makes what he wants to make and sells his work accordingly. He won't put a customer's name on his work. He said that it only has value if it only has my name on it. Not talking about sentimental value here :-)

I thoroughly enjoyed the evening and hope that next time Bobocat is in our area I can hire him to do a clinic in our shop. We have already improved just based on the small amount of instruction he gave us last night.

thanks for this john. what a wonderful evening you must have had. bobocat's work is outstanding. i would love to see him working.....

Hey John!

Not that you don't have enough to do running a business, but a DVD of Bobcat working, a discussion of his philosophy, or of his clinic if he does one, would be of great interest to many of us on this board!

Mike

Bobcat was at my place last night and I was asked to ask him this question.

He said that he laid out the design on the computer and simply reversed the image and then crossed it a little. Then when he transferred it to the leather he only did the large outlines and did the detail by freehand. Thus you can see that even though the base image is the same the detail is different on each side.

Folks I have to tell you that Bobocat is a cool cat. He is totally committed to the art of leather tooling. Myself, Zhen Hai, Long Wei, Bobocat's friend Kevin, and my wife had a lovely evening discussing leather working, philosophy of design, the zen of teaching others and other topics.

Just an example of how committed he is; he told us that when he sees something that someone else did he will print a picture and tape it to his wall and think about it for a month. Then he will tool it and a year later he will do another one to compare his skill to the previous year's work. He doesn't do customer orders, he makes what he wants to make and sells his work accordingly. He won't put a customer's name on his work. He said that it only has value if it only has my name on it. Not talking about sentimental value here :-)

I thoroughly enjoyed the evening and hope that next time Bobocat is in our area I can hire him to do a clinic in our shop. We have already improved just based on the small amount of instruction he gave us last night.

John,

Thank you very much for asking Bobocat this question and sharing it with us. I really like his method and philosophy.

Thanks again for sharing

Troy West

Thanks John his work is fantastic. I love it when he posts.

Hey John!

Not that you don't have enough to do running a business, but a DVD of Bobcat working, a discussion of his philosophy, or of his clinic if he does one, would be of great interest to many of us on this board!

Mike

I will mention this to him. He said that he is going to start a business here in China to sell tools that he has designed. If I can get him to come and do a clinic for us then I will ask him if we can film it to share with others. He may even be interested in doing video tutorials that someone else could lay down a translated narration of.

The work is just used the swivelknife to cut out.But I hope you will like it.

It's just only used the cutted line to show the fluent,beautiful feeling.

Bobcat...I just stumbled on this post today and I am stunned! Your finger carving is beautiful! I think it may be the best finger carved piece I have ever seen! The flow is wonderful...simple and complicated, all in one. Your knife control says worlds about your confidence and ability. This is a perfect example of "less is more". I'm printing the image and putting it on my bench for inspiration. Thanks for sharing this with us.!

Great Cutting Bobocat.....you will definitely have to enter one of our contests. Here's the results of the swivel knife shootout we had at the CSMA seminar in Salida, CO. Here are some other examples of really great work.

http://www.leatherwranglers.com/contest.html

pabloz