I am considering experimenting with an airbrush for dye applications and was wondering for those that use one, if a gravity fed or syphon fed is preferred. I don't have any experience with airbrushes, is one type over the other easier to learn and use? Thanks in advance!

As a rule,

Gravity feed has a smaller, integrated cup (probably on top).

Siphon feed generally has a cup of bottle that attaches (usually the side).

Neither of these has anything to do iwth the way the brush WORKS. If I had to state a "category" difference, the gravity is likely quicker for small amounts of color and color changes. The siphon holds more, so likely quicker in the long run for large projects.

I personally use a siphon fed brush (double action/ internal mix). The cup is on the left side, and it's comfortable for me to 'paint' with my right had, balancing the cup, and still see what I'm spraying.

I airbrushed this yesterday with a really cheap airbrush.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/redcent69/Random%20pictures/IMG_0105_zps9075c616.jpg

Mine is a single action air brush. It is a siphon type. I did buy and may try today to airbrush with a larger gravity fed spray gun.

The double action airbrush is a little harder to handle but it will be wanted once you advance in skill.

That's a nice, even tone - makin' fer a nice lookin rig.

Gonna dissent on yer opinion about the double action being harder OR wanted "later on". The single action and the double action will both get to the same place. Rather like a manual transmission vs an automatic transmission in yer car (fer anyone south of me, I mean yer truck). The manual (single action) will be a bit more involved in the use of it, but works very well and some folks wouldn't have it any other way. The double action will let you change a bit (shift) without stopping, and thus it's a bit easier to use in many situations.

But I don't recommend buying a piece of junk "to start" and maybe upgrading later. Purchase the best brush you can reasonably afford (don't get me wrong, more expensive is not necessarily better). Smooth action is what you want, and a brush that you can get replacement parts for if you need. I have a brush that costs about $75, but I've replaced that $4 needle in it a dozen times. Years later, still works like new.

Ain't tried the DA yet but hitting the gas pedal while controlling the gas with the same pedal will cause me problems for a little bit.

Nah.. you kin turn the wheel, hit the turn signal, and use the brake at the same time. With a little practice, it got where yo don't even think about it.

It's not that hard to use a double action. It sounds hard. Think of it like your gas pedal, not doing multiple things at once with it, but just using it. You press on the pedal to go (or press on the trigger of your AB to provide air), then you gradually move the pedal to provide more or less gas (or move the trigger to provide more or less color). The air-valve on most airbrushes isn't variable like it sounds with the double-action description. When grabbing the trigger to slide it back for color, you naturally push down anyway, so it's not different.

I picked up a dual action airbrush, and I love it. Mine is a badger renegade Krome. It's gravity feed.

It's my first airbrush, and I don't find if hard to use, though it does take a little getting used to if you've never used an airbrush before. My biggest challenge is that my hand cramps up after a minute or two, but that's just because I grip too hard and need practice.

Get a dual action, gravity feed airbrush. I did a ton of research before buying mine and I don't regret my purchase.

For most purposes, there won't be any performance difference between gravity and siphon fed. If you're looking for extreme detail, gravity will do better because it's not using some of the air to suck the color up, meaning you can operate at lower pressures from your compressor and get closer to the work. But, for general coloring and spraying finish, either will do the trick equally as well.

Lightingale, I'm a little jealous right now ;)

I'm looking to upgrade and really want to try a Krome due to it's high regards, but it's just out of my price range. I'm settling on a Badger Patriot 105, which is a gravity fed version of the tried and true Badger Anthem 155.

Red, what thread did you use on that project?

Edited by SouthernCross

Lightingale, I'm a little jealous right now ;)

I'm looking to upgrade and really want to try a Krome due to it's high regards, but it's just out of my price range. I'm settling on a Badger Patriot 105, which is a gravity fed version of the tried and true Badger Anthem 155.

My main reason for choosing the Krome is because it's considered to be an inexpensive airbrush that performs like a much more sophisticated one (for its price range). It's capable of fine work as well as broad dyeing projects. Mine was only $115 plus shipping to Canada, which was just a little more money than the Paasche VL so highly recommended on these forums.

I got mine from coastairbrush.com. The Krome is out of stock on their website ATM, but they'll probably restock it again soon. I'm sure it's worth a phone call if you're in the market for one. I highly recommend the site, as they answered the phone promptly with an answer to my question (even if it was to explain why and to confirm that they could not ship California Air Tools compressors to Canada).

My biggest challenge was not in finding a nice airbrush, but in finding an air compressor. All the best brands don't ship to Canada, and if they're available here, they're almost double the price as in the USA.

One reason why I champion the gravity feed airbrush is because it's easy to switch colours, especially for small projects. When I'm dyeing a project, I just use an eyedropper (or a straw, for frugal people like me) to put a few drops of dye (I use angelus spirit dyes) in the cup as I need it. To clean it, I spritz dye reducer in the cup and spray until it runs clear.

Yeah, I'm extremely familiar with coast airbrush and love them for all sorts of things, not just airbrush supplies. They also have a really good forum their for the kustom kulture folks. Right now my budget is only in the $85 range, which is keeping Mr from those. But, for anybody interested, right now Chicago airbrush supply also has some killer deals. I found a better price on the Patriot there and I believe they have the renegade krone I stock.

Southern Cross, I use polyester thread. 277 top and 207 on bottom.