bobkiss

Thread Tension?

Hi,

I need help! I am using my Nakajima 280L to sew canopy canvas to make sheep blankets. I can't get the bottom stitch to bury properly no matter how I adjust the tensions. I can get it to bury a little if I loosen the bobbin tension all the way and tighten down the needle tension but even then the best it gets is still not good. I am using V92 thread and a #20 needle. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Bob

Maybe go up one needle size? #20 should be big enough buy it may be worth a shot. I don't use #92 on anything but I sure someone who knows more than I will chime in.

Jeremy

A #21 or #22 needle will open up a bigger hole, top and bottom, and that might be what it takes. Still, the top tensioners should have sufficient pressure to bring the knots well up into the material using a #20 (recommended) needle.

You should not have to relieve all of the tension on the bobbin. Something is wrong in the tension path or parts. Make sure that the top disks are fully released when the lift lever is down. Sometimes the lifter can hang and keep the disks slightly apart. No top tension results in knots under the work.

After re-checking the tension path and finding no problems again, I changed the needle to a #24 (thats the only other size I have right now) and it sews like champ!!! Thanks for the help, I don't want to think about how long it might have taken me to figure this out on my own!

Bob

Something else to check is the foot pressure. If it is too light, and the fabric is lifting as the needle goes up, no amount of tension on the thread is going to help. Making an oversized whole to get the thread to pull up may be a "fix," but I would check for the real problem and get it corrected. JMO.