truenorth

German Adler Czec Adler

Hello everyone!First off love this site,seems like so many great people with great knowledge I am diving in and looking for the Adler 205 370 but have a big question is the WHITE machine made in China and assenbled in Czecislovakia?Is the quality the same?How come nobody likes the white model?Anyways great to finally be here!

Anybody? any ideas which is a better built machine?

Basically, your asking someone for their opinion, so I'll try to offer mine; nobody ever complains about the quality or workmanship of the German made Durkopp Adler machines. The Durkopp Adler machines made in the Czech Republic, from what I have seen are nothing but top quality as well, especially by today's standards. As far as I know, the 205 series from Durkopp Adler was never made outside of Germany or the Czech Republic.

Again, this is only my opinion, but I would be happy with either 205 model, but some here may have a different opinion on this matter.

I agree with Gregg,

I have never heard of any 205 or 204 machines made in China. They are made by German or by the Czech Minerva factory. The Czech are famous for their great industrial history, the best German WW2 weapons are made there. When Germans want to produce something outside Germany they choose the Czech`s because they are very good at it. If you buy a Dürkopp Adler you will get a very good product, do not worry. There are some DA product made in China, like the new white 267-373, 069-373, some special machines and some textile machines. The M types are made by Minerva, so it looks like most of the leather machines are made in other countries than China.

I am not 100% sure about any of this, this only my opinion.

(I have never seen proof of things being otherwise and I do not work in Dürkopp Adler).

However, I would buy any 205-370 regardless of color too.

Thanks

Tor

Minerva was building beautiful quality machines before Durkopp bought them out.

Skoda may have been a joke of a car company but they were one of the most respectad arms manufacturers in WWII.

thank you everyone!I am debating what to buy Adler 205-370 or Juki 441 not interested in clones right yet I want the real mccoy!will keep you guys posted

thank you everyone!I am debating what to buy Adler 205-370 or Juki 441 not interested in clones right yet I want the real mccoy!will keep you guys posted

More professional leather sewers use Adler 205s than TSC-441s. Dealers who specialize in leather sewing machines usually set the Adler 205 up as a sub-model 374, which has a smooth feed dog. They also offer what we call harness foot sets and special purpose throat plates, which are very useful to holster and harness makers. The Juki 441 is usually configured to sew heavy webbing tow ropes or thick buffing wheels. It will have teeth on the feed dog and both presser feet. An Adler 205 set-up by a leather machine dealer will be mounted on a pedestal table, with a powerful servo motor, feeding a speed reducer pulley, feeding the machine with combined 8 or 9 to 1 speed reduction/torque multiplication. It will usually come with harness feet and a smooth feed dog.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Hey Wiz thanks for the reply I have done a bit of research and the Adlers are incredibally priced for parts even little screws can hurt your pocket!As for the 441 all the dealers here will have parts, feed dogs, feet, plates, cheaper than finding Adler parts the other thing is the Juki has been copied by sooo many that interchanging from Chinese to Japanese parts and back would be an easier fit than Chinese to German I would think.

I have a clone of the Adler 205-370 that I bought from a classified ad that a forum member here had listed back in the spring. It is a Ludwig LG-205-370 and from everything I can tell it is identical to the Adler. I've even bought a couple of small replacement parts and screws from Weaver that are Adler brand and they interchanged perfectly. I am still getting the feel for the machine as It has been a very busy summer for endeavors outside the leather shop.

I don't know why we don't see more clones of these machines around. When I was doing research before buying it, Bobby at Toledo Industrial Sewing seemed quite shocked that I was getting it for the price that I did.

I wish I lived near someone like Wiz who really knew the ins and outs of the machine so I could glean some in-person instruction. I think I pretty much fully understand the workings of it all because I took it nearly all the way apart to clean and adjust when I got it. I'd just like to get some direction on assesing stitch appearance issues and the tweaks to remedy them, especially when changing between combinations of leather thickness, needle size, and thread weight. I still can't seem to get the backside to not turn into a wadded up mess when I backstitch over 2-3 stitches.

Hello,

I have six big Adler and Dürkopp Adler machines. And I do have a 441 clone too. I do not recognize the "incredible expensive" spare part price that you describe and I buy my parts from Dürkopp Adler, and live in one of the worlds most expensive countries too (Norway).

When it comes to clone and aftermarket parts for Juki and Adler's: its only hooks, plates and foot sets that are available. All clone machines ( there are a few exceptions) uses the original (copied) machines spare part program anyway. The reason most buy the 441 clone instead of the Adler is the price, the Adler clone is more expensive and have less foot lift (usually only 20 mm). An other reason is the available attachment`s, and it`s price. You will normally get a longer arm on the 441 too.

You can buy 205-370 clones with longer arms too, then you have to pay even more. Both machines uses the same needle and hook and have many similarities. I like the Adler's foot lift lever on top of its head, it has a very nice stitch too. When I consider all these facts, then the 441 clone is the winner of the clones. You get more machine for less money. I am talking about clone machines now, when we talk about the original machines its a different story.

Thanks

Tor