gaelicknife

Alaskan Rigs For Heavy Pistols

Here are a few pics of the Alaskan type holsters I make at Gaelic Forge Knife and Leather Works. Heavy leather and good finishing techniques as well as Chicago screws make this holster comfortable riding convoy, in a pick-up, on a 4 wheeler or a horse. Comfortable and accessible. Seams are double stitched when possible, reinforced with rivets as needed, seam edges are sealed with Yankee wax and buffed and entire holster is treated with Obenaufs for long life and comfort. No short cuts. post-14543-0-92439100-1380390100_thumb.jpost-14543-0-81336400-1380390224_thumb.j

Note the difference in buckles from one holster to another. I began with a Garrison type buckle, but now prefer the stainless roller buckle from Chicago Luggage. Stainless is better especially for this type of holster.

Very nice; I like the roller buckle, as well. If I may express my ignorance, what is "Obenaufs?"

Don't hear much about Obenauf's, I have some, could you share your experience, and how you use it, please. I read about a lot of other products but would like to hear form someone that uses it regularly. Thanks for sharing these heavy duty holsters with us.

I'm fairly new to working with leather but i've owned a lot of leather items throughout my life, my grandpa actually showed me Obenauf's, You just take a little in your hand and work it into the leather, depending on how dry the leather is it will absorb more or less, does a decent job of waterproofing, but in my opinion where it really shines is scuff protection, If you have anything that see's constant use or contact with hard or abrasive materials Obenauf's really helps minimize the scuffing. It will slightly change the colour and finish of your leather though. It's relatively cheap as well and a little goes a long way, If you're curious its worth trying at least once.

On a long hunting trip/hike the schoulder strap will rub your neck raw as an old fish tail.....your design on the strap needs a little help..I like the rugged holster design.....the bullet loops will not help comfort near the neck either...good workmanship.

jimbob