cramseynyc

Tooling Soft Lamb

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this site and tooling. I'm a designer with a small line and I use a lot of leather. I do a lot of embellishment, lacing and braiding but am starting to do some tooling. (I've done it before for wallets and belts, but never for a garment). I'm not having a lot of luck with the tooling showing up on the lamb. It could be that I'm just doing something wrong because I'm a beginner but I thought I would see if any of the experts have any suggestions or advice for me. I'm wondering if the skin is too soft to hold the impression from the tools. Just not sure.

Any advice or suggestions anyone has for me is much appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Christine Ramsey

Any leather that is "soft" really can not be tooled. Vegtable tan is firm and hard and will take the denting and cutting well.

You can brand it.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking maybe lamb was a little too "soft" for tooling but just wasn't sure. I'm glad you told me because I would have spent the entire weekend trying to tool it! I'll look into the branding.

Well since you saved all that time, show us some of your pics.....Cheryl

You can have embossing plates engraved or etched and emboss your designs using a heated press, but that runs into a lot of money. It will work on chrome tanned leathers, however it is only really feasible for pieces that you be producing a lot of.

Thanks to everyone for your help! I'm going to try and brand the leather. If I get to the place where I'm doing larger quantities I will definitely look into getting embossing plates engraved.

The leather will need to be damp, not wet for the brand to look good. Also do not over heat it. My hot press works best at about 350 or so, depending on the leather. It only takes about one second contact time. Too long and it will blur the edges.

Aaron