El Zipster

Strap Hole Size

Hi guys,

Just taken an order for a strap for a Yamaha Pacifica.

Anybody know the hole size to cut for the standard buttons?

Cheers

Zip

You may get multiple answers, for standard buttons I use a 1/4" hole with a keyhole slit (about 3/4") and a 00 size hole at the end of the slit to prevent splitting.

Chief

first question is how heavy is your leather? If it's lightweight, you'll want an undersized hole to maintain contact on the guitar. The other question is if the customer plans on using straplocks. If so, what kind - each brand will require a different size hole. If they don't use them but might in the future, make a hole big enough to fit the largest of the popular choices, since they'll all do their job that way.

first question is how heavy is your leather? If it's lightweight, you'll want an undersized hole to maintain contact on the guitar. The other question is if the customer plans on using straplocks. If so, what kind - each brand will require a different size hole. If they don't use them but might in the future, make a hole big enough to fit the largest of the popular choices, since they'll all do their job that way.

Thanks for your reply, the weight of the leather is 3.5mm and the guitar has standard pacifica buttons. I asked about strap locks and the guy tells me

he has no intentions of using them, at least for the time being.

Cheers

Zip

Edited by El Zipster

I'm not sure of the metric conversion, but 1/4" or 5/16" tends to work well for it. If you have a micrometer you can check it pretty easily. With the heavy leather you're using it should be a nice fit. I'm pulling those sizes from memory by the way. I'll have to double check my punch size when I get home since I just grabbed the best one for each scenario and set them aside (guitar straps are my primary order). From there, I like a 1/2" slot ending in another small hole. The small hole at the end of the slot is CRITICAL to prevent tear out. Many people forget this step. It doesn't have to be huge, but it's gotta be there. Also, keep in mind that with thicker leather, it's a little harder to get the strap on the button at first. This is a GOOD thing, especially when they have no intention of using strap locks. The thickness of the leather makes it more rigid, and the rigid nature keeps it from pulling around the strap button. One of the primary reasons for strap locks is that those nylon and light leather straps are soft enough that they fold around the button. That's also why they have smaller holes than the strap button post, so that they hold it tighter as they form around it.

Many thanks for your replies Guys,

Cheers

Zip

i have made straps with 6-7 oz. veg tan, punching a 3/8" hole with the slot about 3/4" long and of course the small hole at the end of the slot...didn't have any complaints... actually a 5/16" hole might be better...