BoonesDaddy

Which Servo Motor For Consew 206Rb-1

Tor,

Thanks for your reply. I agree, you should buy from a Dealer you trust...Problem is, we are so very far away from any real Dealers. So, distance is my real problem.

You really have to really think it through when travelling long distances with a 70-90 pound sewing machine head in the car. Yes, I strap things down, but still. Yikes!

Travel and/or shipping is an added expense when you are not close to a good Dealer.

Wow, that is a lot to spend on the high end motor! I guess I'm not your high end Customer yet, but more of the "low end". I hope to someday be a "high end" Customer, and perhaps my new/used Pfaff will help me qualify later. :) For the time being, I'm low budget and that makes me low end. LOL

I have another machine I purchased new less than 10 years ago and it wasn't running. It just went to the shop for repairs (this machine is equivalent to Consew 206) and now it is stitching perfect again. I've got a limited budget for it which I quickly exceeded and I am trying to decide if I should buy a brand new motor or just keep using a portable motor by Sailrite. This portable motor is for Industrial machines. The horsepower is nearly half of what a full sized 3/4 HP motor would be, but this little motor seems to have plenty of torque and a variation of speed from slow to medium that would make most people happy who are sewing leather or vinyl.

I'm very pleased to have found a wonderful Industrial Mechanic nearby, but they cannot get me the parts that I need, or the motors. If they could, I'd buy from them in a heartbeat and pay the price they ask, just like I did when they repaired two machines for me. I am glad they are close by. But they deal in Domestic machines, so they don't have access to the kind of parts I need for these machines.

Because I'm about to sell the lower end machine, I have given much thought to what a potential buyer might want. Probably I should just leave the little motor on it so it can some test sew outs, then let the new owner decide what to do.

I now have enough good information to give to the potential buyer of the machine, including what is mentioned in this thread. Thanks to you and everyone who added to this thread. Great information! Thank you all.

-Suz

Suzell,

Thats Chinese sewing machine industry in a nut shell, same product with 1001 different names. You must buy from the dealer you trust, or based on this forums knowledge and feed back.

A high end Japan or German system motor will cost you from 600 to 1000 $. You cannot expect a 100 to 150$ motor to last forever. I use mostly German Efka motors. However, I have one Cobra digital 600 W servo motor and it works fine. It very similar to any other motor that looks like it. They all (almost) have had some issues with the speed control, but its been corrected on the Cobra now (and perhaps many others).

Do a forum search on it and you will see what I mean. I do not know much about older Chinese analog motors (I never bought any). I heard the speed control are good on them, but some of them might be a bit to weak (400 Watt). The later digital motors are stronger, but do not have a good speed control. They uses an light switch. (A proper digital speed control is expensive) The digital 600 watt is more than strong enough for an upholstery class triple feed. You can even find them stronger than that. Some of them might have a faulty speed control, some are fixed. If Gregg offered me a good motor, then personally I would trust its good.

Good luck

Tor

Gregg,

Since I've decided to sell the machine that I was trying to find a 3/4 sized motor for, I will pass your information on to the potential buyer of the machine.

Thanks so much!

Yes, this is correct, Family motors I was getting in with the switch on the face of the motor came in as model FESM-550N.

The Family motors with the external switch we have come in with a FESM-550S.

Sold the machine today, without getting a new motor for it. I did pass this info onto the new owner, which they appreciated very much!

Admittedly, an older post. I am looking at similar dilemma. I really want to support the people that give so much to the forum, but am torn as to apples to apples comparisons. I have had to move and am readdressing this machine.

Machine: 206 RB1 with clutch motor. Need to get cleaned up and running smoothly. I am going to consider adding the knee release. Good use of $35? Hope it comes with good instal instructions if I get it.

Any other machine so close to it that the parts are substancially better quality or better published info?

Needs a bobbin case. Japanese or Chinese?

Would like to keep the ability to sew canvas and webbing, but aim to sew leather too. May just keep the clutch motor and change pulley for first try.

Feet. Going to get some of Steves for leather. Anymore I absolutely need for thinner material and canvas? Welt feet, necessary or cool?

Wonder about replacing fly wheel with larger wheel for hand turning conveinience.

Servos:

Cobra offerring. Good warranty, great company. Two inch pulley already on motor? Enough torc for slow leather stitching?

Gregg at Keystone: Haven't done business with them yet but impressed with willingness to serv. Same concerns with Family Sew as opposed to the other motors in similar class. Pulley included. Less warranty.

Anyone have an old service manual? I have the owner’s manuals PDFs but I don't think it will tell me all the problems I will run into. I know most people that fix them fix a lot of machines, so it’s just intuitive.

post-5098-0-58342700-1404936561_thumb.jp

Nothing??

I know there are people that have tons of opinion and knowledge here. I am waiting to make a choice based on the knowledge that I will gain to my questions.

I have been happy with my Nicko Sew analog servo and they have provided great service for a post-bed I purchased from them. I am also happy with my other knock off analog servo from Ralphs Power Sew in denver. I recommend a local shop if you can find one, Nicko Sew was great to work with over the phone.

Make sure your pulley is small enough, that can really help out. You can always add a speed reducer if you want it to crawl. I am not partial to the clutches they take a bit getting used to.

Thank you for your input.