fancye9876

How Much Lace Can You Get From A Roo Hide

Hi all. New here and to braiding. Been lurking and reading. I am courious how much 1/8 lace can be cut from a roo hide. I know it would depend on the size of the hide, but a rough estimate. Trying to decide if it is more cost effective to cut your own or just buy it. I know with buying it there is about 50 yrds on a spool.

Thanks for any info

lacemaster.com has a nifty lace calculator. Buck

I thought I was done with this place, but...one more post for old time's sake...

I've researched this quite a bit and it is definitely more economical to cut your own lace, especially in the long run. You also have more control of how the lace comes out as far as beveling, splitting, etc.

You'll have to research cutting tools to see if you want to make them yourself or buy them. I don't have have as garage full of power tools, lathes, mills, etc., so I opted to buy one and be done with it.

HTH...good luck...

Edited by TXAG

Ok, thanks for the info. Not sure I am ready to tackle cutting my own just yet. I know the cutters and bevelers are pretty expensive for good ones. I will check out the calculator.

I usually will get around 50 to 60 yrds. Spool bought only comes in 25yrd spools.

B...

The lace I get from y knot is 54 yrd spool for 1/8th.

I'm with Knothead on yardage from hides. I cut all my string at 6/32 and stretch and size from there. I don't generally split the strings used for Bosal bodies but split and size down for my button strings. So I guess the answer is 200+ft. depending on size of hide and amount of trim taken off before starting. Brad

Thanks Brad for the info. I wish there was a way to see a piece of well prepared lace so I would know what to strive for. Pictures just don't work that well for me. For now I think it is just about the same cost wise to go ahead buy from y knot. It is about $55.00 or so for 54 yrds and all I need to do is learn how to bevel. I do have the bevel tool they sell but not sure I am doing it right.

Susan