FirstNick

How Do I Do This Kind Of Colering?

Hi,

I have tried to master the techniques of the dyeing and paint job in the photo attached.

I believe that the green-tooling coloring is made by first applying a light layer of green dye in the tooling and then more green to the raised areas by a "dry-brush"-technique.

I can get it to work, but I am not able to get the light green color somehow?

The gold paint on the border is troubling me. I tooled it and then I blocked the raised areas with resolene (5 coats!). The gold paint stayed in the impressions after I wiped it with a clean cloth, but unfortunately some gold "glimmer" remains in the raised areas. I tried with both cheap and expensive gold paint, and I tried with a dry and a wet cloth.

What am I doing wrong?

One thing that I am totally at a loss, is the green "marvel"-like effect. Do anyone know how that is made?

post-37485-0-21580300-1382257782_thumb.j

This is a littel tedious but for the gold like that I have used either a gold sharpie paint marker with a fine tip, gold metallic sharpie, or other type of paint marker (some made for scrapbooking and some for scale model building)

In regards to the lighter green in the stamped areas, I am oinly guessing but it may have been the result of block dying and only allowing a small amount of green to get into the depressed areas. Potentially there could have been some sort of resist hand brushed into those areas as well so that the majority of the green would wipe off.

Well, we really are just guessing about the original method. But I think you're pretty close.

First off, the gold. I wouldn't try it with a resist technique. Just paint it in the old fashioned way keeping it off of the areas that you don't want to be gold.

For the lighter green, I would use a thinned down mix of green and apply it in there. No need to be so careful with this part since you're applying green over everything else anyway.

For the marbled effect, it appears to be mostly block-dyed. But, there is a heavier application of green applied in some spots, making it darker in those areas. I do stuff like that all the time, though not for the exact same effect.

Step by step:

1.) apply your light (thinned) green in those spots

2.) apply the heavy dark green where desired

3.) Block dye the whole thing to get a lighter green overall - don't saturate your rag used for dying so it's only a light application. You're going for a translucent overlay that will color the rest, as well as soften the transition of the darker green.

4.) carefully paint the gold. You can seal with Resolene to "resist" first if desired, but be sure to wipe up any tiny mishaps with soapy water. You will have gold specs either way, the best you can do is limit the mishaps so that you don't have anything to clean up.

5.) Seal the whole thing up.

It actually looks like the edges around the gold are done in a kind of dark burgundy color. I would dye that before applying the gold.

Thank you both so much for your responses!

Once I get the chance I will try it out! Really looking forward to it!