Chavez

Mens Formal Shoes Books?

Hi!

Can someone please recommend a good book that will walk me through making a pair of mens dress shoes?

I just killed another pair of formal shoes (they lasted a month & a half!) and I think it's time I tried to make shoes myself.

Thank you,

Chavez.

Handmade Shoes for Men Hardcover

by Lazlo Vass (Author) , Magda Molnar (Author)

You can buy it on Amazon.

I will say that I have gone to a class on shoe making and there is a lot involved. You would be best off finding someone who will teach you the steps.

Check Andrew Wrigley Shoemaking videos in Youtube. It's no book but a very good instructable. He shows all steps but it takes quite long to make a pair of shoes.

Hi. I make shoes. can help you but i only make stitch down shoes. If you like, let me now Am working on a tutorial an will post it soon.

I hope you are not looking to save money by making your own shoes :) It will be very expensive unless you are comparing them to $4000 bespoke shoes...

I have been trawling the internets for shoemaking information for some time now, and two books that are often mentioned are the ones by Tim Skyrme and George Koleff. Both can be found at Tim Skyrme's site: http://www.shoemakingbook.com/index.htm

Another book that is always mentioned is the Goldings "Boots and Shoes" which can be downloaded for free at http://www.thehcc.org/library.htm. It is an old book from the early 20th century and is a bit confusing in my opinion. For instance, it does not really tell you anything about making lasts other than to carve it from a wooden block and to try to make it about the same shape as the foot, but it does so in an incredibly convoluted way so that you have to read it a couple of times to realize this. Anyway, it seems to be the standard reference on most anything except lastmaking.

I also want to second the Andrew Wrigley videos, they are fantastic. You'll have a much easier time understanding the textbooks once you have studied his videos. There are some interesting Koleff videos on youtube as well.

I should probably mention that I have yet to make a single pair of leather shoes, I'm still in the research phase, so take my opinion for what it's worth. I have also not bought the Skyrme or Koleff books yet, though I'm planning on getting the Skyrme book.