This is my first suede lined holster. Also my first time airbrushing dye. I did kind of a dead floral theme I drawn up. I made everything, the pattern and tooling template and hand sewn. I'm actually pleased with the way this turned out for a first.I used rust colored suede, I love that color suede I use it on every thing, I made this for my dad for Christmas but I want to keep it. Maybe it won't fit his vaquero lol, I know they are a hair smaller than my black hawk in the pic, but it's atight fit. What else can I do to improve my work. I know I need to burnish the edges better, that burnishing tool is in its way I'm the mail. I just used a ruff grinding wheel that semi does the job

20131104_102342_zpse37da961.jpg20131104_151249_zpse01c5181.jpg20131104_151215_zpsae270216.jpg

looks good. you can use a piece of antler to burnish the edges also.

not sure about this but it was suggested to me not to use suede as a lining for holsters as it can trap dirt and debris thus scratching the handgun as you use the holster.

i havent used suede to line anything yet as i always just use veg tan leather cause i usually dip dye my stuff.

Little help, please :)

I take it the two small holes are for a hammer thong?

And, seriously, how wide did your pattern end up being at the trigger? Using a 'standard' formula, I tried to do a pattern for the NewModel Blackhawk (.357Mag) but it was awful tight at the top. Widened it about half an inch (1/4" per side) and got away with it, but think I need to open it more.

Still not sure how that works .. the wife takes an order and I cut patterns ((%(#Y$@#H$T@~~!!!

Yea I didn't have the hammer thong in yet. I had to bend a needle to get my peice of leather through for it without drilling through the suede. Everything is hidden under suede.

I just measured my pattern I made and it was exactly 10 1/4" at the top. Mines a new model 45 though.an easy way to get it right is wrap a peice of suede and leather around the trigger gaurd then mark and measure. I havnt messed up yet scince I've been doing that.

Thanks! I musta brain malfunctioned - or similar. I measured the same 10 1/4 for the .357, but when I cut the leather, just folding it up was pretty clear it wasn't going to work. Held it up a second time, -- yep, still too short :)

Not sure what I did, actually. I wrapped a piece of 8 oz cow, glued to a 2/3 liner, and got 10 1/4" ?? Oh, well ...

You're doing better n' me .. you ended up with a useable holster and a nice gift. My first cut went in the trash, so I'm battin .500 :)