andyb

Can 3-4 Oz Veg Tanned Leather Be Oiled And Softened

I know there are several posts on softening veg tanned leather, but my question may be somewhat different.

I would like to sew myself a motorcycle style leather jacket. I have been slowly gathering supplies and pattern ideas. As part of my research I have been trying on various leather jackets and I have found that actual motorcycle jacket leather is very stiff. Many times it is also referred to "veg tanned" leather. These leathers are around 3 oz thickness.

Can veg tanned tooling leather be oiled and softened to make a jacket?

Andy B

I certainly am no an expert on the various tanning processes, . . . but from experience at Tandy's, . . . I can tell you that they sell many options for a motorcycle jacket besides veggie tan, . . . and I for one would probably take a much different tack on it.

Lamb skin for one will make you one super jacket (my wife owns a jacket, . . . myself a vest), . . . deer, . . . elk, . . . and even the fake deer or elk would be superior in my opinion.

But then again, . . . just an opinion.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight,

I guess I should be clearer. I do have soft garment and upholstery leather, and have used that for projects before. What I'm talking about is fairly stiff leather that has a finish to it almost like plain waxed veg tanned cowhide, only with enough flexibility to it that it isn't like walking around dressed as the tin man from the Wizard of Oz. Areas around the elbows and shoulder are more flexible after being broken in.

I have never come across this type of leather and was wondering if it was just some type of veg tanned cowhide that has been oiled and softened slightly somehow.

Andy B

Anything can be softened up. But, some of the thicker leathers, if you get them that soft, you've basically caused the fibers to break down.

Motorcycle leathers are traditionally NOT made from Veg-Tan!! They are made from Chrome Tanned leather. Veg Tan leather is susceptible to water damage and must be heavily sealed. The Chrome tanned leather can withstand water exposure without a lot of extra work. Now, looking through your last post, it may be a latigo leather that you're looking for to match those qualities, but it's still going to be stiff and require a lot of breaking in.

I may be confusing some terms.

For instance, Schott lists some of their motorcycle jacket leather as "vegetable tanned hand oiled cowhide".

What would this type of leather be?

any one in particular you're looking at there? I just looked through their leather jackets and couldn't find anything that said it was veg-tan. Most of the stuff they show there is chrome tanned leather.

Here is one that does say it is Veg tanned hand oiled. http://www.schottnyc.com/products/length/waist/12.htm?color=2 How ever looking at it if it is I am sure it is more in the 1-2 oz. I have some 3-4 oz and I don't think it could ever be oiled enough to be as supple as that jacket looks.

Camano,

I know it doesn't look like it in that photo, but I can say that I have tried on similar jackets and they are indeed rather stiff. Until the leather warms up a little from body heat it almost is uncomfortably stiff. I have not come across this type of leather for sale and that was why I am wondering if it is just what it states, some sort of oiled veg tanned cowhide.

Believe me, I didn't believe the leathers were as stiff as they are until I started researching it. And they are only around 3-4 oz thickness.

A purpose of a true motorcycle jacket is to protect you when you spill. The heavier the leather the better. If you are making one for fashion as opposed to function, or you just want a supple one, go with black horsehide. Horsehide is much more supple and provides greater strength than cowhide at the same weight. Langlitz's heavyweight cowhide is 3-4 oz. and they try to talk most people out of it bacause of the stiffness. Their mid-weight is 2-3 oz. I have a heavyweight that is 15 years old. If I hold it at the back of the neck and set it on the ground it stands up on its own.

On a different note, where did you find your pattern?

I made a canteen strap from 4 oz veg tan leather. I used vinegroon to turn it black and gave it two really heavy coats of mink oil. It softened up a good bit. Now considering this was a strap, I do not know how soft oiling would make a piece as large as a jacket. I am sure there would be a rather long break in period to keep it from being stiff.