Azur Jahic

Broken Needle

Hello i just broked needle while stitching leather today i use pliers and i dint'know that you cuold brake something if you pull it.Is posible to repair that needle.I broke hole where thread go.Can i somehow make new hole.Or hacksaw it.Is anything posible.Sharp part of needle stay butt only hole get busted.

Edited by Azur Jahic

Needles are cheap...you'll need to have a few onhand if you're going to stitch by hand...

I cannot think of any viable way to make a new hole in your needle there...I suppose if you really had to, you could hammer the end flat on an anvil and then make another hole, but...you should get more needles. I've broken needles before too...I've read it can happen more often if you twist/pull on it at the same time...

Edited by TXAG

You aren't alone Azur.. I've broken lots of needles by hand stitching with pliers. I have to agree with that other guy. The needles are inexpensive and you should be able to keep a few on hand. If that is not an option, you MIGHT be able to solder the broken edges together I don't know how well that would hold though. Good luck

If you have to pull the needle with pliers, be careful not to bend it, i.e. pull it straight out. You can help by holding the pliers lengthwise along the needle instead of perpendicular to it. This will help you to pull it straigh out.

I'm also going to guess you're using kit needles that came from Tandy. If so, just bring it back to them and they'll probably give you a replacement.

If you're serious about working with leather, get yourself some quality needles.

Your needle broke at the needles weakest point, the hole where the thread goes through. It is not solid like the rest of the needle. Look at the thickness of the needle at the sides where the thread goes through, the sides are a lot thinner than the rest of the needle. I would suggest never grip that area with pliers or you be breaking more needles.