NorrinRadd

Keeping Leather Straight

Hello everyone, Newbie Leather worker here, had a few fun projects, been getting the practice in, But there's something I can't find info on, I had a problem with a quiver I made, it's not straight, it sort of twists towards the bottom, and now I'm making a couple sheaths for people for Christmas, and I've been laying my leather out, and noticed it's doing that, Is it simply a case of flattening under something heavy (which I'm currently doing) or is there something else to keeping it straight?

Thanks a lot!

Chris

Are you talking about the entire side? If so, It helps if you store it flat or hanging instead of rolled. Most curves come out when you case the leather...if you are casing it. Putting something heavy on it could easily mark the leather, which is probably worse than the curl. If I have areas on a side or shoulder that are curled I will normally work around it and use those pieces for smaller items. If it's what you've got to work with, cut the leather to workable sizes and dunk it in some warm water. Then, it should be workable.

Well, I have had it stored in a curl, Which I recently found out was a bad idea, But it's a problem I'm having with smaller pieces I've cut out, as I said, the quiver I made has a slight twist in it, and the leather I've now cut out for the Sheath I'm making also has a twist, I presume it's from my storing the leather wrong(and not flat) I wasn't sure if there is a good way to make sure the leather doesn't twist, other than storing it straight, i know you can manipulate leather if you case it, so was wondering if it's easier to straighten it like that, Sorry if I'm hard to understand lol

A pic of the item would help. But, I keep 7 or 8 sides of leather under my bench most times and store them loosely rolled keeping the heavier sides on the bottom. I go through the sides fairly quickly so it has not been an issue. English bridle can be a different story and tends to wrinkle the finish side if kept rolled.

I always store my bulk leather loosely rolled and secured with a shoelace. Never had a problem. Not sure of the problem you're having without seeing a picture, but I always dampen leather before laying it out and cutting pieces, it causes it to lay flat and the cuts are smoother. Herman Oak is shipped to me rolled and I keep it that way. It also protects the grain side from the light which can and will cause darkening. I wouldn't think your problem is because you stored your leather rolled unless you're rolling it very tight. Any curl you find in leather should be able to be corrected with dampening the leather, if not, then the piece is "marred" in that area and should be cut around and tossed. I could be wrong, Lord knows that happens often enough.

Chief

Keep in mind that leather once wrapped around a cow or some other animal. Even though it appears flat, is does have a tendency to curve based on it's original position on the animal. If you are working with a side I don't see an issue with keeping it rolled up. When studying how to make moccasins it was pointed out in one tutorial the importance of cutting the pieces perpendicular to the spine of the cow in order to keep the boots/mocks from twisting when made.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I would've posted a picture had I thought about it, The leather I had cut out for the sheath, I damped it on both sides, then left it flat under some weight for half the day, and now it's as straight as an arrow, i think the problem I encountered with the quiver I did was i didn't make sure the leather was straight to begin with, and foolishly assumed it would magically sort itself out!