Pumpman

Second Attempt

Some of you may have already seen this in the critique section, but being new I just discovered this topic. I'm learning so many things from all of you, so thanks, here is my second attempt at floral carving. Please let me know what you think. As soon as I get this project dyed and assembled I will post more pictures.

#2 start

post-47292-0-54692600-1386469187_thumb.j

#2 cleaning tracks and finishing beveling. I'm going to try and get all the tracks out then dye and assemble the portfolio.

post-47292-0-11141000-1386469290_thumb.j

That is what I thought but the pattern I am going off of is exactly how I have it?

T tool is not backwards, they are pointing backwards. From the center vein they need to point up and forwards, they are pointing down.

Ok I see what you mean thanks

Try to keep in mind the POINT for the tools you're using. I certainly WOULD reverse the vein tool as suggested. The idea is not 'cause it's in some pattern' so much as the idea is to give the illusion of roundness and shape to the leaf.

This seems common for new guys, and long as you are aware of it you likely won't fall prey to it. Don't think about placing a tool that looks like veins -- think about making a leaf.

And, if you don't have one already, I would suggest picking up a modeling spoon. A few minutes at the end rounding those hard bevel lines will make a world of difference in the final look.

Keep it up.

Thank you all for the responses I have learned a great amount in my short period of time. I am going to finish this one as is, and I will turn around and make a new one shortly. Quick question is there a special technique for beveling in tight spaces or just tools that I need to purchase? Thanks in advance! Cheers and Merry Christmas.