DarkKnightGC

Singer 151W1 Info?

Hi all... I'm fairly new to this, so any help would be appreciated. I picked up a singer 151W1 walking foot industrial sewing machine (c.1962) and wondered if anyone has any experience with these. I have found all of the info on ISMACS and around the web on this machine, but I haven't found any real firsthand user info. I make holsters and cartridge belts and hand stitching has gotten painfully slow. I got a great deal on this machine (it came with a table and a SewQuiet 5000 servomotor for $400), so I was hoping it'll work for me. I figure if it doesn't, I can put a different head on the table and still come out even (at worst). I have t210 bonded nylon thread, size 22 needles and little experience. Has anyone used one of these or have any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Carl

This machine was designed for binding thin material like clothing.It might sew 4-6 oz leather w/#69 thread but it will never use #207.It would probably work on wallets & real thin leather for fine stitching.

I appreciate your response, but never sounds like a challenge. I'm going to figure out what modifications I need to do to make it work. Anybody have any tips? I'll definitely do a follow up when I get it up & running.

Hello DarkKnightGC,

With all due respect...I'll be a little more expansive but equally as direct as Bob Kovar @ Toledo Industrial Sewing Machine...you have a special purpose early design walking foot sewing machine.

I have had 2 or them and sold both only because it was always a tricky machine to keep in time even when I knew how to use and time it...the last one I had needed a new hook, but didn't replace it only because I wasn't using it much anyway. It sold FAST on Ebay. Please trust us when we tell you that this machine was designed to sew at high speed in light leathers and other not-too-dense materials with thread no thicker than bonded nylon 69. Also, even through it is a true walking foot machine, it feeding system is somewhat "refined" as it was designed to move along the material it was designed to sew, especially the narrow, lever-like feed dog. This feed dog has to be very sharp, and if yours is worn down, it may be hard for you to find a replacement. I looked for one with no success.

If you do not have the user manual, you can download it for free on the Singer website. Go to parts.singerco.com and search for the user manual. You will find the information for the intended uses for this machine along with its rated 3000 stitches per inch. It is in fact a high speed factory garment designed to be one of many machines in the production of fine garments such as gloves and attaching collars and cuffs. The machine cannot be modified to do anything else, especially since it is has a short stroke stitch using 135x1 needles. Even a longer needle stroke walking foot machine using 135x17 needles like a 111W155 is still designed to use 69 thread but a 111W155 has MUCH MORE PUNCHING POWER than your 151w1....it is punching power that gets your sewing machine's needle cleanly through vegetable tanned leather for making holsters with no more than a 1/4" thickness when the machine's maximum lift is 3/8". If your 151w1 is timed correctly and the hook is sharp, the most dense material it will sew is cowhide suede that fits comfortably under the presser foot.

If you want to pound through vegetable tanned leather with 135x17 needles, you will need at least a higher lift (5/16") flat bed walking foot machine like a Consew 206RB-1 or any of the same model with newer/higher end numbers. I have a 206RB-1 and its basically a monster...made in Japan in the 60's and will chew through 1/4" thick vegetable tanned leather with 138 thread using 135x17 #22 needles....and, it is still supposed to be an upholstery machine.

Juki LU-562 and the LU-563 are similar machines.

A heavy leather sewing machine...usually cylinder arm machines... use 794 class needles...like the Cobras or Artisans....I have an Artisan 3000 with a 3/4" lift for stitching holsters and gun belts.

I suggest you watch lots of Youtube videos to get a good feel for leather sewing machines and tweek out your 151W1 for whatever it will allow you to sew on it. But always remember two of my similar sewing machine rules: 1. "You will never win a fight with a sewing machine" 2. "If you never ask a sewing machine to do more than it was designed to do, you will both be very happy!"

Good luck!

Bob Marshall

Well, as it turns out, I was able to modify this machine to run quite well using #138 and size 22 needles through 2 pieces of 9 oz veg tanned leather. You're correct, though, it was never going to work well for long with any larger thread. In the end, I'll humbly admit that it wasn't worth my time. I'm going to finish a few projects with it and use my earnings to buy a heavy duty machine. I'll definitely keep the 151W around, as it is an excellent flatbed machine for my light and medium work. I'll most likely move to a 441 clone... Now to find one!!

... I'll most likely move to a 441 clone... Now to find one!!

A popular 441 clone

This is tops on the list. From what I've read here and elsewhere, it's tough to beat the quality and service for the price.