Lividya

Where To Got This Shade Of Yellow?

I need your expertise! What color is this? (ok, I know it is yellow) but where can I get such a bright shade of yellow in dye? I have tried Fiebing, ecoflow, and even the new waterstains from Tandy, but they are all very...darker. My second question is: would I need to block dye with a Brown antique to get this effect? Thanks in advance!!

post-37967-0-24640100-1387596830_thumb.j

I think you might be after that bright yellow that makes the pattern?

Most dyes I know of need some clear mix, a deluter solvent is your best friend when using dyes.

If the yellow (any color) is to dark, delute it until you're happy. I guess with Eco you use water, with Fiebing use denature alcohol etc.

With my Angelus yellow dye I delute it at least 50/50 to get that bright yellow, make some test pieces on the side but make sure to let it dry (hair dryer makes it quick) before deciding if you're on the right track :-)

I enclose a picture that I have shown many times before (a picture says more than a thousand words) it explans so good what a deluter really can do for you when dying...This is made with Angelus light blue and light pink + some alcohol, going from undeluted to a mix maybe around 10/90 or so.

post-5624-0-21217300-1387614680_thumb.jp

would I need to block dye with a Brown antique to get this effect?

I think you are on the right track here.

It looks like they used a resist prior to dying.

Yeah, you'll just need to thin the yellow you have. I know Fiebing's yellow is tan when used full strength. Start with 50/50 and go from there.

Good to know. I guess that using a resist would help as well, because even with block dying, I haven't near getting such a clear result. I will try with the fiebing yellow and reduce it some, because I agre that the full strenght color looks a lot more like tan than yellow. Thank all for your good counsel!