Sign in to follow this  
BradB

Repair Help

So my Boss at my real job is really interested in my leather work, so much so that he brought in the leather school book bag he carried in first grade. He is from Germany and I guess when he went into first grade some 30 odd years ago this is what they carried (will post pics later), bright orange with reflectors and thin backpack configured straps.

He asked that I repair it for him, it is dirty and the finish is cracking cue to it being dried out and needs to be restitched. This is where I would like some advice, here is my plan please tell me if I am headed in the right direction.

1. gently clean with saddle soap and a soft brush(shaving brush maybe) and let dry.

2. apply leather conditioner (lexol) and let soak in and remove excess.

3. apply leather dressing/sealer (Pecards)

4. restitch

5.. do happy dance because I did not ruin Bosses bag!!!!!

I think it is pretty straight forward, but should I clean and condition before I take it apart or should I take it a part and then condition it so I can ensure the seems are properly conditioned and cleaned.

Lastly, how much should I charge for such a job?

Thanks for any and all advice!!!

Brad

Attached are the photos of the bag as well as some of the problem areas (stitching coming loose and cracks).

So should I take it apart and clean it or clean then repair, I am leaning towards taking it apart and clean.

What would you charge for a pretty simple repair such as this?

Thanks!

Brad

2895708564_9d9eb78842_o.jpg

2894869775_8a325d7f86_o.jpg

2894870041_59cff2b8b1_o.jpg

2895709010_b0b594e228_o.jpg

2895709522_3d55d7709f_o.jpg

2895709828_76b7753282_o.jpg

1. i would ask him, how much does he want to spend first.

2. i would ask him, does he want it disassembled and cleaned.

i would think that the damaged area isnt bad and i (personally) would leave it bag as-is. Maybe a good cleaning and maybe fix/repair some of the loose/missing stitching.

my concerns are:

1. the leather maybe too far gone to "rejuvinate" it. ive only tried some "reconditions" but so far none of them have kept the leather from cracking once the leater is dryed out.

2. once you disassemble it, youre commited to fixing it and any other "hidden" damage or damage you do with your good intentions.

3 can you match the paint/dye used?

i would charge him what you normally charge.

btw. whatever cleaners/dyes, you use, i would test in a hidden area to make sure it wont remove/damage the existing finish.

good luck.

I am just repairing/restitching the sides so I would just remove the gussets and reinstall and I am not redying just cleaning the leather and conditioning. Also this is my first repair so I am not sure what to charge.... :-( I am actually doing it for free but have told him if someone asks how much it costs to tell them what ever amount I come up with (if that makes any since) I owe him a favor.

personally I wouldn't touch it for the following reasons:

1 - he is your boss

2 - the material is dried out and crap

3 - repairs like this are a nightmare in general: material failures, decomposed materials, tough to match colors, etc

4 - you'll never get paid what it costs to tackle jobs like this

5 - he is your boss

my sugg - send him to a luggage repair service

SteveB has definitely got a point!

However, it sounds like you have already dug yourself a big hole by agreeing to do the job so my best suggestion is that you tell him in advance that on further inspection the leather is in very poor condition and you will do the best you can but he definitely shouldn't expect perfection.

Then stitch up the sides very carefully but don't take the thing apart any more than you can help.

Having done that, give the whole job a good going over with Skidmores - see: www.skidmores.com to put some 'goodness' back into the leather.

I suggest Skidmores because it is relatively inexpensive and I've had some remarkable successes with the stuff particularly with leather that has dried out and gone hard. It isn't magic, but it ought to sort out your problem quite well. Get a jar mail order, you won't regret it (and it makes a great veg tan finish over oil dyes so you won't waste any).

Just my thoughts and worth what you paid for 'em...

Yep, you dug a hole.

IF you do decide to go ahead and repair the bag, here's some suggestions of what to tell the boss:

1 It's old, the leather's in pretty bad shape, and you can't perform miracles.

2 The thread is probably rotting too,(since bonded nylon probably wasn't around when the bag was made) and that's why it's coming apart.

3 Restitching means restitching- all of it....see item 1. Opening up everything may damage the leather beyond repair, even after you try to restore the leather. It would be very bad, I think, for a few stitches to pull through the leather.

Other options, if the bag will only be kept as a memoir, would be to try and match the thread color/type, then glue the edge with some Master's or leatherweld or some other contact cement. If you can match the thread, make a dummy stitch by poking the thread into the existing holes from one side only, and glue it in. That should be sufficient for taking off of the shelf from time to time and reminiscing. If the bag is expected to tote anything, I think you'd be better off to get dimensions from it and just make another from newer material.

I believe you can get leather with that type of grain already embossed on it from Tandy.

Edited by TwinOaks