lcmattson

Blue Dye

Hey, folks. I am looking for some insight on dyeing leather blue (a dark, navy blue). I use Tandy's Professional Waterstain for the majority of my dyeing, but I've noticed that the blue fades to a odd pale greenish color over time. The dye will be coloring the covers of longstitch books.

My question is: Is there a blue dye/stain that any of you have found that doesn't do this, or do I simply have to deal with it?

Thanks!

- Lauren

Fiebing's Blue, either Professional Oil Dye or Regular Dye. You'll probably want to take a look at the Royal Blue in the Pro Oil Dye. They have a few different blues between the two types though.

Some people say the Tandy Pro Waterstain is good stuff, but everything of theirs I've tried (aside from that) has always been weak in color and susceptible to color fade/bleed.

Ah, I wasn't aware that Fiebings made a blue dye. I'll check that out!

I haven't yet had a problem with the Pro Waterstain, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Thank you!

but I've noticed that the blue fades to a odd pale greenish color over time.

- Lauren

That right there is a problem ;)

Here's a blue one I did yesterday. This is Fiebing's Light Blue spirit dye - just after I finished airbrushing the black border.

post-22094-0-61376300-1388175097_thumb.j

Hahaha! Touché. With the other colors, though, I haven't had the issue. But, yes, blue is a problem. Thanks for the visual! Nice carving, too.

Thanks for the visual! Nice carving, too.

Thanks, it was a practice piece that I decided to color and finish up for my Buddy.

Feibings Pro dye is probably your best bet.

It only comes in royal blue. Feibings leather dye comes in Navy Blue , & Light Blue.

The light blue is not that light, I always reduce it to get a light blue.

Also blue dye rubs off if not buffed.

Fugitive dyes are always a problem...

The light blue is not that light, I always reduce it to get a light blue.

Yeah, I learned that one the hard way. Didn't mess anything up, but sprayed it on and thought "how is this LIGHT blue???"

I have Turquoise and Light Blue in the regular spirit dyes and Royal Blue in Oil Dye. The picture above is actually thinned light blue over turquoise since I found it gives it a kind of electric blue feel that way.

I also used Fiebigns pro oil dye Royal blue. Actually it is quite dark and strong.

This sheath is made with Fiebings royal blue. (http://farm4.staticf...bf36daa9b_b.jpg)

it has two coats of it, so you might get it just a bit lighter (but not much) if you do one coat. But I didn't dilute it. I think it turns out really nice!

Edited by Sona

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Sona, that sheath is beautiful! The blue is exactly the color I am looking for. Did you make the knife as well?

Thx a lot!

Actually that's some kind of Larp dagger, made by someone else. So I just made the sheath on comission.

you might try angelus dyes...they seem to be more colorfast than even fiebings, and much more concentrated...I rarely use fiebings dyes anymore...

Honestly it's trial and error with all brands. I use about 5 different brands or sub-brands in my dyeing, as I've learnt very quickly that some brands produce a specific color the best, while brands do not.

Experiment on scraps :)