Shmea

Hello From Alberta, Canada!

Hi all,

I have been lurking on this site for a while and have learned a lot from previous posts. I have done some hobby leatherwork for years (belts, collars, etc) and so having a little knowledge I bit off more than I can chew by planning to reupholster a loveseat and chair. I have a heavy duty home sewing machine that I have used to do some leatherwork before but it won't do more than two layers of upholstery weight leather even with the walking foot attachment so I am looking for a real industrial walking foot machine now. I am envious of the deals people seem to get in the USA. The cheapest second hand ones here run about $900 (which I am willing to pay) but those ones tend to be old and I worry about spending that much money and having it be on it's last legs.

Well anyways, I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate all of the great advice on this site, I am sure it has saved me a lot of money and disappointment as I undoubtedly would have bought something that wouldn't meet my needs.

Cheers,

Shmea

Good luck in your quest for a machine.

I'm from Saskatoon, but going to be passing through Calgary in a few days for a short getaway in Banff. Never been there in winter before, but looking forward to it!

Thanks for the welcome! Good luck with your trip Cameroo. Drive safely, the roads are icy right now!

I had the coldest winter in my life when I spent 3 months working in Yorkton Saskatchewan in 1977. I grew up in Upstate New York in the foothills of the Adirondak Mnts. and I thought it was cold there until I got of the plane in Regina and it was 36 degrees below zero before the wind chill. Got frostbite on my ears the first day. I couldn't believe how cold it was, car lights didn't work until they warmed up and everybody had 2 electrical plugs for their cars so they didn't freeze. Been living in Texas for 30 plus years now and I am freezing if it gets below 50 degrees, today it is 27 and I can't wait for the 80 degree days of March.