RichLee

Magnetic Buisiness Card Holder

So, this is a work in progress (obviously by the photos). It is originally ment to be a magnetic money clip. However, I decided to put part of my dad's automotive shop logo on it and make it a buisiness card holder instead. What are your thoughts so far?

-Rich

post-44860-0-52256200-1388320103_thumb.j

post-44860-0-31532500-1388320113_thumb.j

looks good and good idea to convert it to a card holder however the edges of the cards may end up getting bent in his pocket as the holder isn't as wide as the cards

Here it is finished. I think it turned out pretty well.... better than I thought it would anyway :)

looks good and good idea to convert it to a card holder however the edges of the cards may end up getting bent in his pocket as the holder isn't as wide as the cards

I didnt think of that. hopefully it will work out and the old man will like it.

post-44860-0-38480800-1388731388_thumb.j

I'm sure he'll love it and nice work. Maybe if he keeps it in a shirt pocket it won't allow the edges to get too bent

Looks good to me, what made you choose to punch the holes instead of using like a diamond awl or something?

Looks good to me, what made you choose to punch the holes instead of using like a diamond awl or something?

It looks like the one that comes in a kit from Tandy in which case, the holes are already there to make it easier to do for the beginner

It looks like the one that comes in a kit from Tandy in which case, the holes are already there to make it easier to do for the beginner

Ah. I just got started myself and contemplated buying a kit just to have directions... As it is now I just practice (read as play...) until I realize I am missing tool for something i want to try. I still need a good piece of stone to work on... and an awl... and some transfer paper... and some dobbers... modelinging spoon and stylus, etc lol

there will always be something you need as you go along lol

if you have one near you, check out a kitchen and counter store and see if they have any samples they aren't selling anymore and you may be able to get a nice piece of granite or marble to work on cheaper then what a leather supply shop would want. I picked up one a month ago at a place near me for free that was 12"x12"x1.5". It's not pretty but it works and it is flat and polished.

I agree with Halitech. I work for Lowe's and got a 12"X12" granite sample for free. It never hurts to ask!

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I am a beginner (this is only like my 4th or 5th project) and it did come as a kit. The only thing that I changed was putting in part of my dad's logo. I dont have the tools to put in my own holes for the stitching but that is the next thing on the list! I am really enjoying this hobby and I cant wait to get cracking on the next item!

word of advice that I read on here and was echoed by an employee at Tandy, buy the best gear you can afford, you won't regret it. Just don't mortgage the house to do so ;) And start with the basics that you know you will use a lot, not the one off tool that you might use once a year. I nice slicker for the edges is one thing you can get that is inexpensive and will make your projects look 100 times better.

Also, take your time and think things out so you don't waste leather. Bristol board (or even old frozen pizza boxes) make great templates so you can put things together and see if they are going to fit so you can make your mistakes and correct them by adding or removing pieces first.

word of advice that I read on here and was echoed by an employee at Tandy, buy the best gear you can afford, you won't regret it. Just don't mortgage the house to do so ;) And start with the basics that you know you will use a lot, not the one off tool that you might use once a year. I nice slicker for the edges is one thing you can get that is inexpensive and will make your projects look 100 times better.

Also, take your time and think things out so you don't waste leather. Bristol board (or even old frozen pizza boxes) make great templates so you can put things together and see if they are going to fit so you can make your mistakes and correct them by adding or removing pieces first.

Thanks for that advise, Halitech. The tools that I have baught have been liek you have said, ones that I think I will use often. I have only been at this for a month or two so I am slowly, but surely, aquiring more as I go along.

I am in the Army and I have so military related type projects that I have in mind for when I get a few more tools and have a little more skill. If they turn out well, im going to try and get them out on the market.

Thanks again for the help. I have been learning a lot from this site. :)