Jarek S4

Perfect Edge

Any ideas how this edge is made? I do not mean colors (probably mulitilayer of diyed leather). I mean "clear lack finish"

Zrzutekranu2014-01-16o005909_zpsd4f86133.png

Right at the top of this section is a pinned post called "Finishing Edges"

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18101

thanks for the help !

I've seen that pic before definitely an impressive edge. I'm not sure bob park's method can achieve that look because his method uses saddle soap and friction heat that might darken the edges. The edge above does not look like the leather has darkened too much. I've wondered how this one was done and have no idea.

Andrew

Here are some thoughts. First, daubing just a touch of water on the edge of a beveled and unsanded edge will produce a mirror like finish with a motorized burnishing tool.. But.....achieving the pictured edge with the uniformity displayed is awesome. There is a "sweet spot" with the application of water/liquid in the beginning that will provide even edges. Again, I am using a motorized burnisher. One can take a piece of leather, as in the picture, and wet it thoroughly, and let it dry on a flat surface. It will become hard and you can come close to the picture with extreme care. I am constantly amazed with leather work and the abilities that other possess.

RED can you post a picture of the burnisher or send me a pm pic

Thank you

It is different layers of leather. I have done that before but never with a high shine like that.. It is possible that they have used the gloss edge lacquer

WLG, sorry I missed your request.

Burnisher 002.JPG

Burnished edge 003.JPG

post-36503-0-30159400-1393863607_thumb.j

post-36503-0-05938100-1393863682_thumb.j

WLG, sorry I missed your request.

Red....Do you dial that RPM down some way on your B&D? 3600 seems pretty fast to burnish an edge. Ever burn any edges? Just curious.

Nope. I also use an old Craftsmen table top drill press with the belt on the middle groove. Sounds like :) about the same speed. Both does a great job with the dowel rod. The cheap grinder does not have a lot of torque but that lets me know if I am pressing too hard.