I woke up at 3 am the other night and decided to work on something I have never tried before. I created the design and pattern in Illustrator and then got to work. When I finished at 6:30 am, this was the product. I'm very happy with how it turned out for it being my first time trying an inlay.

There are a few spots where the stitching is too close for the inlay vs. the outside.

The leather is 2 - 3 oz Horween Natural Horsehide Chromexcel and the denim is a USA Chambray Swift 12 oz indigo raw denim. Thread is natural 4 ply from Royalwood. All of it his handmade except for the burnishing in which I used a cocobolo burnishing bit.

Any critiques or recommendations for when I do more inlays in the future? I have some more denim, duck canvas and wool to try doing inlays with.

2SjhGNC.jpgzRUnJVK.jpgif9xhp2.jpgolC37jD.jpgcQZx7aW.jpg

That's beautiful and it looks perfect to me.

I saw a tut on inlay somewhere that recommended using the leather piece removed for the inlay to be trimmed slightly around the edges, then replaced behind the inlaid material (leather or in your case, denim) in order to pad it out to bring it to the same level as the rest of the piece. On the other hand, the inlay in your work is framed by the leather and that also works extremely well. What a neat piece.