I was wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for a homemade sealer recipe. I made a nice little bees wax/almond oil mix that works great for a finish and to soften things up a bit. Is this okay for a "sealer" also? I have not had issues with color coming off when using Feibing's spirit based dye's, however when I made a few pieces with Eco-Flow I have killed a roll of paper towels already while trying to buff it out.

I can buy sealers but am looking for cheaper and homemade alternatives.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Some of my stuff I use a 50/50 mix of beeswax and neatsfoot oil. Rub on and apply heat to soak it in. I usually do a coat of Atom Wax to bring back some of the shine after. If I want an acrylic sealer I use Mop&Glo cut 50/50 with water. Pretty much identical to the name brand acrylic sealers out there.

I just googled that term and got a lot of great info. Thank you both for the input. Definitely gives me a great place to work from. Also read up to use a hair dryer to liquify the beezwax mixes so they soak in better.

Several sites had folks saying that animal products will cause degradation in the leather over time and to use non animal based products. I had never heard that before and most of the old time dubbin recipes seem to use neetsfoot or lard as the oil portion, mostly animal products either way.

I'm sure you've heard of neatlac which is not available anymore. Although there are some alternatives available which are supposed to be the exact same thing, they are rather expensive to ship. So instead, I go to Lowes and buy Deft brand brushing lacquer and mix 50/50 with lacquer thinner. I use the semi-gloss to exactly replicate the original neatlac but you can use either flat or semi. It doesn't really matter because when you cut it in half with thinner it's gonna be flat anyway. I use it all the time for my antiquing resist and top coat on my tooling.

I need to emphasize, Deft brand brushing lacquer! It dries slower and has an additive which makes it slightly more flexible than regular lacquer, just like neatlac did.

Edited by Early2rise