Trace

Waxed Thread

I hand stitched my first ever leather project and I can't help but get some wax on my hands which in turn gets on the leather. Is this going to effect the leather when I antique the piece? Is there a way to clean it or is not an issue. Maybe antique first then stitch?

Thanks

I hand stitch my holsters. I cut the stitch grooves and pre punch my holes. Dye the holster. Stitch. When I apply my wax finish I use a heat gun and the wax from the thread just mixes with the wax finish and soaks in.

Thanks to you both. I had a feeling that was what I should have done after I started doing it.

Next time burnish the thread by pulling it through a piece of folded brown paper bag numerous times before using it.

Will heat up by friction and take away excess wax.

That is an old Al Stohlman trick from his hand stitching book.

Edited by WScott

Next time burnish the thread by pulling it through a piece of folded brown paper bag numerous times before using it.

Will heat up by friction and take away excess wax.

That is an old Al Stohlman trick from his hand stitching book.

That is a great idea. Sorry I took so long to reply. Been away for a while

Ya, no worries.

If you don't have the book I would strongly suggest it.

It may be old school,but so much useful information.

http://www.amazon.co...rds=al stohlman

Thanks, I will check this out

Seconding what WScott said, Al Stohlman's books have been invaluable to me as I have been learning the craft (as well as Youtube and this forum). His hand sewing book as well as "The Art of Making Leather Cases, Vol 1" are really great references to have, I can't recommend them enough. Its definitely worth picking up and is filled with tons time tested tips and tricks (like the paper bag/waxed thread trick) that make your pieces look better, last longer, and look professional.

One side issue here is that when you buy pre-waxed thread most I have seen comes waxed with paraffin. Thread does much better when waxed with bees wax. Not sure why they do this unless it is to save money, but in general I would recommend you buy unwaxed thread and wax it yourself.