dentat2

Singer 201

im using a singer 201 to sew lightweight chrome tan for things like purses and guitar straps. i currently have a 1/2 hp motor with a clutch drive and im looking to change to a servo motor. the clutch likes to take off like a bat outta hell and it gets away from me pretty quick. ive been looking at the Brushless Digital D.C. Servo Motor at leather machine co. and was wondering if anyone could give me a little advice.

Doesn't the Singer 201 have a built in pod motor? How are you powering the machine with a clutch motor? Unless you remove the pod you may damage it and the worm gear inside the flywheel.

Wiz,

Some 201's came in treadle stand w/o motor I have also taken the motors off them & converted to treadle for Amish people.

my 201 has had the motor removed.

... ive been looking at the Brushless Digital D.C. Servo Motor at leather machine co. and was wondering if anyone could give me a little advice.

Yes, that motor will work fine. Be sure to measure the diameter of the pulley on the clutch motor. The servo motor has a 50mm, 2 inch pulley. You will need to order a shorter v-belt to have the same range of vertical adjustment/belt tension, as the original. Subtract one inch of belt length per inch of difference between the pulleys.

A v-belt won't fit,he needs get use a leather belt,unless he can adapt a larger pulley.

201-1 treadle201-2 had potted motor. 201-3 external motor belt driven I think 201-4 hand crank.

not sure which motor was on it before. right now im using a 1/2 hp with a clutch and a leather belt. ill be using a totally different table so ill have to mount it and all that. just wanted to make sure that motor would work for me