iowafarmgirl

Back With More Questions

I recently purchased a Singer 31 class.... and Thanks to Cowboy Bob, he was able to properly identify the machine for me, a 31-19.

I downloaded the Parts List and the Instruction manual for it, replaced a few missing / broken parts, rewired it, cleaned up the table and base, gave the machine a good scrubbing and added some fresh oil in all the right spots.

Problem is, Im afraid that while replacing some parts and removing others in order to clean it, I may have altered something....

It seems the fabric (or in my case a thin piece of lambskin) doesn't feed properly. The fabric stays stationary. The feed dogs are moving up and down. The walking foot is "walking". Im thinking there is something minor Im not seeing or some small adjustment I need to make.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by iowafarmgirl

That is NOT a walking foot machine. It has a spring loaded follow-foot on top. The work is only moved by the feed dog underneath. If the presser foot slips on the top (slick leather or fur), there is no feed, or inconsistent stitch length. I had this very machine for one week, then returned it in frustration.

Also, just in case, make sure that the stitch length adjuster screw is all the way down! If it is loose, or up too high, leather doesn't stand a chance of feeding.

Possibly the feed dog is too low. To raise it there is a screw on the front bar underneeth. You probably need it sitting up about 0.5-0.75mm