Just curious if any members (particularly holster makers) are going to the upcoming Leather Crafters and Saddler's Journal trade show in Prescott, AZ. It's March 6th, 7th, and 8th. I'm planning on going Thursday the 6th.

Paul

The University of Arizona's ranch is located near Prescott. If I can find an excuse to go up to the ranch, I would like to check out that show.

I'm going..will be up on the 5th. Anyone know of any music jams in Prescott?

Cya!

Bob

wish I was going. i'll see you there next year for sure!

Tony

Great show! Got to meet Cobra Bob as well as other members of the site.

Will be back next year.

Cya!

Bob

you mean Cobra Steve?? lol

Great show! Got to meet Cobra Bob as well as other members of the site.

Will be back next year.

Cya!

Bob

Must have had jet lag! Cobra Steve of course was there but not Cowboy Bob.. Picked up some quality tools and made some very good contacts. Will be back next year for sure. BTW The BBQ at Prescott Brewing Company was to die for.

Cya!

Bob

I never stop in Prescott without going to the Prescott Brewing Company. Good food, and I love their Petrified Porter. My local Trader Joe's carries some of their beer. I'll have to ask if they ever get the Porter in.

Paul

ok you guys. you made me sorry I didn't go this year. next year for sure. how was the show itself??

Tony

It was my first show and I made a number of excellent industry contacts which will help get my business off the ground. Saw a lot of interesting hardware which gave me some ideas for making my products more cost effective. I did not attend any of the work shopos which were not relevent to my business.

Cya!

Bob

It was pretty much the usual suspects Tony. There were a few new companies. Renia (the German adhesives company) had a rep there. I've been interested in trying their contact cements for a while, and was hoping they had brought some. They did not, however, across the way was Montana Leather (another new company to the show) and by chance they carry some of Renia's products, including Master's Maxbond. They didn't have any at the show, but they were having a show special of free shipping on orders placed at the show, so I ordered a gallon of Maxbond for $44. I like the idea of the cements from Renia as they don't contain toluene or MEK. Renia WAS giving out free samples of a water based contact cement. I haven't tried it yet, but am certainly interested. I visited with Josh Fields of A.R.T. knives for a while. He makes some really nice knives, and I want to get one of his head knives. Oh, Dozier knives was there as well. Very nice. Of course I stopped by to say hello to Steve at Leather Machine Co. Bought a couple of bobbins for my Toro 3000 I bought used from him a few months ago. I probably spent the most time talking with Matt from W&C. I forgot to mention to him that you wouldn't be there this year to keep him company. I mentioned that it would be nice if Wickett made skirting in mahogany as it's a popular color for holsters. He was very interested in possibly having the lab mix up some dye and making a trial run to gauge interest. He said he'd probably only want to stock it in 8/10 oz. to keep down on needing to inventory the three different grades in three different weights, but it would be geared specifically toward holster makers so that works out fine. I also spent some time speaking with Chris "Slick Bald" Andres of Maker's Supply. He had some dummy guns with him and I picked up a Sig 1911, as well as the new Glock 42 .380. It was the first batch from Ring's. He said they just came off the production line, and he had them ship them directly to the show. I've already made one prototype, and need to go out to the shop in a few minutes to work on a second. Yep, I couldn't get the stitch line right on a Glock on the first try (shocking.) That's all for now, need to get some coffee and get out to the shop.

Paul

I would spend a months salary at that show on tools...can only imagine getting to handle new stamps in the flesh before buying.

Not to hijack or redirect the thread, but I have used several gallons of Renia's All Purpose Cement. Just because it doesn't have toluene or MEK, don't put safety protocol too far out of mind. It has xylene and other juju to mess you up if you don't respect it. It has way more smell than the old Barge or any other cement I have used. It also works better than any of them ever did for me. I mostly use it under a covered roof outside, masked up if no breeze. Inside- everything is open and I am always masked up. I was not this strict with the other cements, but sure am with this now. It dries a little faster, so the continuing off-gassing doesn't seem to be as long as some of the others though.

I'm definitely still going to use the respirator. I've heard it dries faster, so that's another plus in my book. Good to hear the smell goes away a bit faster. I sometimes apply cement outside (still with a respirator), especially if anyone else is in the shop. If I'm alone, I'll do it inside with the mask, and either wait, or take the mask off and leave. I'm curious to see how the water based cement does. I'm assuming that I'll need to at least wait overnight after applying it, before wet forming.

Paul