Is drum dyed leather toolable and can it be wet molded, for example, holsters?

I have only used Drum Dried Latigo (7-10oz) and it's not toolable, nor can it be molded...It's very firm.

Drum dyed Veg Tan Leather can be molded and tooled. I have used some HO drum dyed brown, it tools nice. Most suppliers will send you some sample pieces of their drum dyed leathers. The only reason I don't use it is that I want more control over the color. I know Springfield Leather Company will send you samples if you ask, most others as well, I don't think Tandy will but I wouldn't use their's anyway and I don't remember them selling any drum dyed tooling leather.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

Thanks for the responses.

Oved

I've been using W&C drum dyed veg tan skirting for a few months. While I don't carve, it takes stamping beautifully and the impression doesn't cut through the dye either. It will never replace hand dyed leather for really custom projects but for most things and especially black it makes life good.

as long as it is Veg tanned Drum dyed leather can be tooled and molded just as well as natural veg tan leather

latigo leather is veg tan and can be tooled and formed as well.

I just received some samples from RJF sales and they all stamp beautifully. I intend to start using Drum Dyed Veg Tan which will be a big time saver for production work.

Cya!

Bob