Brokentoaster

Building My First Solo Seat...old Topic But New Question.

Hey guys, I'm building my first seat soon and I had a question in regards to the final shaping of the it. I've been sifting through the threads for awhile and haven't found anything to answer my question.

I am trying to figure out how to get a smooth rounded edge to the seat and a crisp/clean edge to where the seat cover meets the seat pan/leather edging. Reference the 'Demo' illustration for a better idea on what I am talking about. My thought process is that if I just try to stretch the leather over the neoprene foam it will push the foam down more on the edges than the it will in the center leaving an unevenly cushioned seat. Therefore, I'm thinking that I should create a shaping buck and pin the leather down to stretch and form it evenly but that seems way to complicated. I'm guessing that the look I'm going for is a natural result of a close stitch but I'm not sure.

In 'Sample01' it looks like the artist molded a surround around the cushioned part of the seat to help define the edge.

In 'Sample02' and 'Sample04' it looks like the stitching is keeping a clean edge in place.

In 'Sample03' it doesn't seem like any effort was put in to defining the edge. Although the seat looks great, I'm looking to avoid the circled effect.

In 'Demo' I tried to illustrate the effect that I am going for in the top portion of the image as well as what I am trying to avoid in the bottom portion of the image.

Thanks in advance for any input.

post-50193-0-46879500-1393699793_thumb.g

post-50193-0-32780000-1393699794_thumb.j

post-50193-0-83116800-1393699794_thumb.g

post-50193-0-62612100-1393699795_thumb.j

post-50193-0-93589800-1393700536_thumb.p

you need to shape your foam to desired shape then wet mold your leather over the foam leave to dry then either stitch rivet or lace.

I wet molded the last seat I made so I could have a ledge to machine sew the top and bottom together,like in the pics above.

the other seats I made I did not wet mold, I stitched pieces together ( no ledge) using round braid which looks alot better if you have the time. The braid covers the seem. I learned a lot from reading Dave T. thread. check out buttskinz.com