OurJud

Sewing Headache

The one edge is just for an example. In reality you would stitch around the edge on 3 sides then turn the wallet right side out. Simplistico!

I really am getting a headache now.

Either I'm the stupidest person on God's earth or you're not understanding what it is I'm trying to do.

Having said that, looking at gary's illustration again (post #17), I think it finally clicked. I can see how he's saying I need to do it, the only bit I don't understand is why he's suggesting I need to stitch it inside out in the first place. In that I want the elastic on the inside (as in the first two drawings) why can't I just do it like this but with the leather the right way round?

Edited by OurJud

Actually that's just what I was trying to say. Flip grain side and flesh side in his diagram and skip the flip. Dress the edge up and voila :)

Okay, for the benefit of those who haven't given up on me... :D

I thought it only right to tie up this thread and say I've finally decided how I'm going to do it. I was having a good mess around with cardboard templates/prototypes and came up with this:

Diag 1: Two pieces of leather, cut to size as before. Then I take a length of elastic (long enough to wrap around the length of a credit card with a slight lap over where they meet again. I then lay and glue this elastic, centrally, on the flesh side of one piece of leather with some stretch glue, and run a stitch up either side, thus securing the elastic in place.

Diag 2: I then take the other piece of leather and cut a slot from top to bottom at either end. Then feed the loose ends of the elastic around the edge and back through the slots on either end (so that the elastic is now on the inside again (indicated by the dashed line)). Glue the ends together. Done.

DIAGONE.jpg

DIAGTWO.jpg

Please note, I have the flesh side and skin side the wrong way round in diag 2.

post-49994-0-99854500-1394825587_thumb.j

post-49994-0-32987800-1394825589_thumb.j

Edited by OurJud

What I thought of is making the leather pieces like a bag and using the elastic pieces all around the leather like a gusset on a saddle bag. I imagine this would stretch.