JWP

Buying Thread

I think I am finding out that all threads are not created equal. I buy Nylon Bonded and use a lot of 277 on the holsters I make. I remember getting a beautiful 6 stitch to an inch seam with the black thread I got

with my stitching machine when I bought it. When I ran out and switched to some thead I got a "deal" on that was no longer true. Thinking something on the machine changed I Started making adjustments to the machine. In frustration I put the settings back to factory and started looking

for answers. One day I had an order for white seams. When I Changed thread I used the white that I got with my machine and there was my beautiful stitch again! Is my discovery that all threads are not created equal true? And a lot of us folks partway through our leather apprenticeship could save time and money if any of you contributors are willing to stick your neck out and tell us what works best.

I think I am finding out that all threads are not created equal. I buy Nylon Bonded and use a lot of 277 on the holsters I make. I remember getting a beautiful 6stitch to an inch seam with the black thread I got e

With my stitching machine. When I ran out that was no longer true. Started making adjustments to the machine. In frustration I put the settings back to factory and started looking for answers. One day I had an order for white seams when I Changed thread I used the white that I got with my machine and there was my beautiful stitch again! Is my discovery that all threads are not created equal true? And a lot of us folks partway through our leather apprenticeship could save time and money if any of you contributors are willing to stick your neck out and tell us what works best.

Edited by JWP

For the most part, . . . I use the thread I buy at Tandy on large spools, . . . about $25 a spool, . . . I use only 346, . . . and it becomes whatever color is attributed to it in the dying process.

Blacks become a very dark grey, . . . and browns always seem to take on a "one shade lighter" look, . . . but it is presentable, useable, and I really don't have any serious complaints from the customers.

The 277 thread simply doesn't work for the look, feel, and quality I want out of my machine, . . . a Tippmann Boss.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight