Widget

Saddle Stitching Something Big

Hey guys,

I've been reading threads on saddle stitching. I'm doing a guitar strap for a friend that I've lined with kip and want to hand sew the edges. I've read a few opinions on saddle stitching, and from what I gather, it's "sew with no more thread than your outstretched arms." Which I get due to wear on the thread. When that thread runs out, do you just backstitch a few, then start with a new piece? Does the backstitch leave an "undesirable" look at all, or does it just blend in? I've done double loop lacing before where splicing leaves no traces of it, but am not sure/can't find if there's a way to do this with a saddle stitch.

Thanks for any advice, using yet another snow day to knock out some projects :-)

-Widget

PS I learned a valuable lesson today...pricking irons work as well on fingers as they do on leather :-(

Edited by Widget

Widget,

When you run out I of thread, tie it off along the edge of your piece. Not real tight but snug enough to maintain a bit of tension and to keep the loose ends from getting pulled the wrong way. Then, rather than back stitch, start the new thread couple stitches back from where you ended the first piece and then continue as you were. It is only noticeable if you know what, and where, to look for. If you are not specifically looking for it, it blends right in.

I have not been doing this for long so if someone more experienced disagrees with me or has better advise then I respectfully defer to their knowledge.

steve

(Edit to clarify poorly worded sentence)

Edited by srtboise

I have not been doing this for long so if someone more experienced disagrees with me or has better advise then I respectfully defer to their knowledge.

You've got it pretty much right on. The only thing I do different is to pull the loose thread from the front side to the back. That eliminates the tiny nub of thread on the front when you cut the threads.

Dan