badger

Hello from London

I found a couple of pictures that I took of Baker's tannery. The first is the liquor pit, where the oak bark is soaked to release the tannin, and the second picture is the tan-house, where there are about 72 tanning pits.

The oak bark is ground up by a water-wheel, powered by the adjacent river, and when it's not grinding oak bark, the water-wheel operates a series of shafts that agitate the content of the tanning pits.

There is archaeological evidence that tanning has been carried on at the site since Roman times!

Bakers2.jpg

Bakers1.jpg

post-7199-1224291465_thumb.jpg

post-7199-1224291500_thumb.jpg

I found a couple of pictures that I took of Baker's tannery. The first is the liquor pit, where the oak bark is soaked to release the tannin, and the second picture is the tan-house, where there are about 72 tanning pits.

The oak bark is ground up by a water-wheel, powered by the adjacent river, and when it's not grinding oak bark, the water-wheel operates a series of shafts that agitate the content of the tanning pits.

There is archaeological evidence that tanning has been carried on at the site since Roman times!

What a lovely work environment. I wonder how often Workplace and Safety visit!!!! I'd like to see a shot of their lunchroom.

Ray - Is the Weaver video a DVD, or is it lurking somewhere as a download on the Internet?

I sent them an email and they sent me a DVD - and jolly good it is too! Haven't seen it as a download -it is about 2.5 hours long.

I sent them an email and they sent me a DVD - and jolly good it is too! Haven't seen it as a download -it is about 2.5 hours long.

It's interesting but not riveting!

It's interesting but not riveting!

It is fascinating if you haven't seen the stuff before - I can't say I want to watch it again any time soon though so perhaps tonyc1 has a point... In its defence it WAS free!

It is fascinating if you haven't seen the stuff before - I can't say I want to watch it again any time soon though so perhaps tonyc1 has a point... In its defence it WAS free!

Yeah Ray, it was free!

Tony

I have dealt happily with JTB for more than thirty years but their mail order service seems to have gone downhill lately. Just had a delivery that was short of a whole load of buckles and a bottle of finish had burst inside the package and spoilt the leather - they always put bottles inside the parcels of leather - I complained but, living so far away, can't get them to do anything about it. No refund, no replacement and no damn buckles even though I have paid for them. Just a word from the wise...

Sorry if it looks weird replying to my own posts, but I need to set the record straight as J T Batchelor has finally sent me a complete pack of replacement leather, another liter of Bag Kote to replace the one that leaked and I even got the missing buckles!

Okay, I had to make a string of grumpy phone calls to get it but I want to be fair here - they did come up with the goods in the end. I just wish they would get it right at the outset. If it happens to you then please complain - a lot!

What a lovely work environment. I wonder how often Workplace and Safety visit!!!! I'd like to see a shot of their lunchroom.

I don't suppose Health and Safety existed when they started out. There's probably the well-tanned remains of a few missing tanners at the bottom of some of those pits! :o

Guys,

Sorry for the delay, away in NYC for a couple of weeks on business.

Got home to find some samples of oak-tanned leather from Bakers...

Beautiful.

I asked for an undyed Russet, London, Chestnut and Black. The leather is very nice indeed.

I'll try out my oil finishes on them and report.

Cheers,

Karl

I'll be very interested to know what you think of it, Karl.