I'm pretty much a newbie, I've done a handful of project, keychain, book and a few demo peices. I got my first job doing a motorcycle seat, i've put tons of hours into it, and now im pretty confident that at the last hour, i messed it up.

i must have done something out of order, because after i was done with all my detail dying, part of the skull would not take dye or vinagroon, it would just sit on top. i tried rubbing it with alcohol and then acetone, but still, it would not take the vinagroon well.

so finally i just puddled the vinagroon on, and it seeped from underneath to an area it wasnt suppose too. being that its vinagroon, im pretty sure there is nothing to do to save it.

as well i ended up covering the vinagroon area with black dye because it just would not cover. so that would probably rub off like crazy.

any suggestion other then starting over? and what the heck made that so water proof? i antiqued and oiled before putting the black on, so it must be one of those 2 things that sealed things in

post-40961-0-83864400-1396141122_thumb.j

post-40961-0-53782400-1396141130_thumb.j

Vinegaroon does not react well with pre oiling, I've found that pre oiling reacts as a selective resist with vinegaroon, resulting in a mottled or spalted look. If I have to oil a piece, I wait a minimum of 72 hours before using vinegaroon on it.

Tina, just a couple thots.....try redying the areas that you believe are spoiled, with dye that isn't water based. You might try sanding those areas with some med. then fine sandpaper before dying. Also, the spot that you originally wanted to "roon", sand that also and then try the roon or dye again. This stuff need something porous to adhere and soak into. Most pieces can be salvaged if we get some advise and use our imagination!!!!!! Semper-fi Mike

Edited by marine mp