Sign in to follow this  
Claykan

Attaching Suspenders To A Tool Belt

I'm making a tool belt that will carry enough weight to warrant suspenders being attached to the belt. My question is, does anyone have any thoughts on attaching the suspenders to the outside of the belt vs the inside of the belt?

I've given this some thought and see merits for both attachment methods. I just don't want to get this rascal tooled and constructed and then see why I should have done it the other way. - Thanks, Fred

Myself, I would attach them to the outside but I think it's going to come down to a matter of personal preference. I see no real advantage or disadvantage to one over the other.

Years ago when worked constuction i made myself a pair for my nail apron. To fisten them to the belt i made them to where they come around the belt and could be adjusted with a conway buckle, a regular buckle would work fine to and a 2 inch wide shoulder strap so the smaller strap didn't dig into your shoulder. The bad thing about fastening them to belt is where to put them. Doing like i did you could move them a little. One thing you want to make sure and do is put a adjustable strap across your chest so when you bend over they don't fall down your arm. The last pair i made for somebody else they wanted a padded shoulder piece that was U shaped about 2 1/2 ins. wide with a tail and D rings sewn at the ends for the straps to pass through. Look online for tool belts and you can see what i'm talking about.

How are you intending to Attach them, standard suspender clamp, D rings, snap around loops etc. ?

I wouldn't reinvent the wheel on this one, a company like Duluth Trading has been making these for years and I'm sure they have all the problems solved.

Have a look at their products.

What they have ( Deluth ) is almost the same thing i made 20 years ago.

Thanks to all for the information.

Dirt Clod - I had not thought about a chest strap, but certainly see the merits in one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Camano - Since this is going to be a set up for one person, for one purpose, I was going to sew and rivet the suspenders to the belt to cut down on bulk.

Tree Reaper - Thanks, I'll check out the Duluth Trading site and see what they have. No need to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.