LTC

Gaucho Fan Knot? Trying To Tie 2Nd Color Interweave On 7Lx6B Gaucho Knot

well, i was able to find a tutorial to do a symmetrical 2nd color interweave for a 5Lx4B base knot.

unfortunately, i tried just adding more O1 and U1 to do the same on a 7Lx6B base knot and it doesn't work right.

i saw a tutorial on YouTube for a 7Lx6B gaucho fan knot? is that the same thing?

i'd really like to be able to do a symmetrical interweave in a different color for the 7Lx6B base knot and also the 9Lx8B one. i think there must be a simple way to get this to work, but i've looked and searched all over and can't find how to do that.

i would appreciate any help, please. but if you're going to get mad at me and frustrated and angry, please don't reply. i have enough mean people in my life already i certainly don't want to encounter any more on here.

thanks again for anyone that is kind and patient enough to help me understand this. maybe it will help someone else later with the same questions.

LTC

you got a link to that video so we can see what you are referring to?

Joel

Mathematically that will not work. Simply because the 7x6 is both row and column coded.

Brian...

LTC

you got a link to that video so we can see what you are referring to?

Joel

if i had a video, i would be able to follow it. and wouldn't be asking for help here. :)

here's the video to the gaucho fan knot, but I was able to do it with no problems. i just don't know if it's the same as a regular 7Lx6B with a second color gaucho interweave or not.

Mathematically that will not work. Simply because the 7x6 is both row and column coded.

Brian...

then why does it work for the 5Lx4B base knot? i know that one works because i tied it last night. is it not row and column coded also?

what is the definition of a "gaucho fan knot" please?

Edited by LTC

A 5 part 4 bight base knot -

4 bight is divisible twice.

A 7 part 6 bight base knot -

6 bights is divisible 3 times.

A single string version of the gaucho will work on the second one quite well. Gauchos are dependent on the bights being of an even number or the numbers being of an even type value. I have only encountered this once or twice and only because my braiding mentor brought it to my attention some years ago. So I had conducted a little bit of research into that matter. The 7part 6bight base casa knot seems to be the most popular with this simply because people tend to tie this knot more often than not. It's been some years ago that I worked on this research and the data is some where on one of my hard drives. Of course this will take some digging through about 10 hard drives.

Gaucho Knots - Quoted from Tom Hall (Introduction to Turks Heads) page 127 " Gaucho knots are regular cylindrical flat braids with a constant column coding throughout the knot. It must have gaucho bights on each edge of the knot.

Gaucho Fan Knots - Again from Tom Hall's book (Introduction to Turks Heads) page 125.

post-1307-0-40428200-1397498599_thumb.jp

I am hoping that this helps out.

Brian...

if i had a video, i would be able to follow it. and wouldn't be asking for help here. :)

here's the video to the gaucho fan knot, but I was able to do it with no problems. i just don't know if it's the same as a regular 7Lx6B with a second color gaucho interweave or not.

then why does it work for the 5Lx4B base knot? i know that one works because i tied it last night. is it not row and column coded also?

what is the definition of a "gaucho fan knot" please?

"The mighty turkshead knot" group on Facebook (in the files section) has some excellent notes from Sidney Woods on gauchos as well as a pdf file of Tom Hall (Introduction to Turks Heads).

i had already looked at those, but they didn't really help at all. thanks for the tip though.