Hello all,

I am looking into buying a Singer 29 series machine for my business. I am a start up business that needs a low cost solution for machine sewing products. I am dealing in single layer 8 and 11 ounce products as well as multi layer 4-6 ounce products. Are the Singer 29s capable of sewing and stitching my products? Any particular model i.e. K that I should look for? All input welcomed.

Pat

1042 Leather Works

The long out-of-production Singer 29k models are capable of sewing 1/4 inch (16 ounces), with up to #92 thread. I know this because I own one of the last ones made, with what they refer to as the large bobbin (yeah, right!) and an 18 inch arm. It sews well with #69 thread and so-so with #92. As for anything thicker, forget it.

The stitch length decreases as you sew beyond 1/8 inch. So, instead of 5 to the inch, you'll only get 6, if the machine is in like new condition. If the foot driving cams are worn out, you might not even get those stitch lengths.

All 29 type machines are top feed only, using teeth on the presser foot to pull the work in the desired direction (which can be 360 degrees).

IHTH

Edited by Wizcrafts